Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire Regulations Costing Me Thousands

Fire Regulations Costing Me Thousands

I'm getting the plans for my new 24' x 40' shop/garage finalized. Because of all the fires in San Diego, California last year the fire department has placed strict regulations on new construction. I'm told by everyone involved with the construction project that the local fire department "rules" the place as far as new construction goes. They even have "final" say on all plans with their own "permit fee." I haven found out what that will cost.

My first extra expense came when I discovered that the new building must be covered in cement board over the wood siding for about $2,000 extra. No, it won't delay a fire more than a few minutes, but it's still required.

Then, last weekend, I had a contractor out to discuss the project and he informed me that the new requirements call for a fire sprinkler system in all new permanent structures. Here I have two choices. If I do it in copper I don't have to insulate and install drywall or I can use PVC if the structure is insulated and the interior is covered with drywall. The estimate on the PVC is $3,000 installed by a contractor with the necessary license. I don't have an estimate on the insulation and drywall yet. So far for the copper pipe I only have an estimate for the pipe at $2,000. The fittings and instillation estimates are pending. I'm sure the total for copper will be far more than the first option. Since I had planned to eventually insulate and enclose the interior the PVC sounds like by best choice. It looks like insulation and drywall will be installed before I had planned, but it will be great to get all that done before I move in my equipment.

As soon as I start actual construction I'll start posting the progress.

2 1/2 working days left and counting down!!!
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 06-11-2008 at 9:47 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don,

Congrats on the upcoming retirement! Well deserved!

Finishing the shop before you move in......a much better way to go! I'm working around my tools and it is a real pain....moving stuff to paint or hang wall covering.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The sprinkler system required for our addition (because it was over 1000 sq ft) cost us nearly $10K by the time you add up both the system and the other things necessary to accomodate it. We were darn lucky they didn't make us retrofit the existing structure, too, as that would have been at least another $10K and probably have to be surface mounted in the 250 year old solid stone portion of our home)

But it's a tough one for something like your shop. Unfortunately, everyone should get used to the idea that they may also be hit with these provisions going forward...it's one of the fastest spreading building provisions "out there" from what I've seen. (In researching how to avoid it...)

BTW, our system is piped with PVC despite the fact that the township forced us to do our water supply with copper. (We wanted PEX)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have you considered using DensGlas for your exterior sheathing in lieu of the wood ( plywood / osb ) ??? That should suffice for the fire rating the fire officials are asking for. Typically fire officials request a UL Assembly and a specific rating, but based on what you posted, it appears they are exercising the "authority having jurisdiction" provisions ...

fire sprinklers used to be run in black steel pipe as well. In our area, black steel or galvanized thinwall pipe still is cheaper than copper, but not nearly as cheap as CPVC.

Hi Don,

I live in So Calif as well. I am just completing a major house remodel, including a new shop. I had to install fire sprinklers in my house and shop, $5000.00. In my shop I insulated, installed 1/2" sound board, and 5/8" drywall. The insulation, soundboard, and drywall keep the shop cool and quiet. They used cpvc for all of the fire sprinklers. I fought the city on the fire sprinklers and lost...

Good luck, Sam

You guys could move to KY - God lives here and "Big Brother" doesn't bother us much!! I have visited San Diego, and while you guys have a neat state out there, I'm pretty happy just visiting every now and then.

And Jim, how come the Amish get by without all that stuff?????

Posted by Sam Layton: live in So Calif as well. I am just completing a major house remodel, including a new shop. I had to install fire sprinklers in my house and shop, $5000.00.
    Posted by Jim Becker:...We were darn lucky they didn't make us retrofit the existing structure, too, as that would have been at least another $10K and probably have to be surface mounted in the 250 year old solid stone portion of our home)...
    Our house is already equipped with a sprinkler system, but I was hoping since the shop/garage was under 1,000 sq.ft. I wouldn't need the fire sprinklers.

Posted by Jim Becker: BTW, our system is piped with PVC despite the fact that the township forced us to do our water supply with copper. (We wanted PEX)
    The "above ground" portion of my fire sprinkler water supply to the building has to be copper as well. Fortunately it will attach to the "high pressure" line that is right next the the site where the shop/garage will go. Two feet of copper if not less.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 06-11-2008 at 10:27 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    You guys could move to KY - God lives here and "Big Brother" doesn't bother us much!! I have visited San Diego, and while you guys have a neat state out there, I'm pretty happy just visiting every now and then.

The Indian Chief "Running Water" has not yet visited the Amish
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

Have you checked with your insurance provider, to see if get a break for having sprinklers? You should, as it reduces the chances of catastrophic fire, even if it does creates a rust potential

I spent a few years as a Volunteer fireman, i remember hearing that just one sprinkler in the kitchen of every home would massively reduce the numbers of US house fires. So they were saying that the next big push is residential sprinklers. Its not hard to put in, but the sprinkler MFGs have locked up the market, so its not DIY ... yet.
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    There was an article in USAToday today about how jurisdictions are actually going after the Amish on building code issues in some areas...
    ----

Don, our sprinkler system was costly because we have to have a 350 gallon holding tank, the structure around it, the thicker concrete under it and a pump system to operate it. We are not on city water...and with a well, the system has to be self contained. Of course, when there is no electricity...there is no sprinklers. So if a fire starts in the original house and takes out the power, the addition will still be toast. LOL 'Gotta love it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Summers View Post
    Have you checked with your insurance provider, to see if get a break for having sprinklers? You should, as it reduces the chances of catastrophic fire, even if it does creates a rust potential....
    Yes, my insurance rates were reduced quite a bit because of the sprinklers especially since they are in all rooms including bathrooms and closets.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Insurance rates are interesting. I owned a print shop 20 years ago. The building was remodeled by the owner and he had to put in a sprinkler system. My insurance rates went up! Water damage to paper products. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

A B S U R D!!!

These requirements are absolutely Absurd, and Costly.

It is an impossibility to protect everyone from everything!

All the government does is drive up the price of homes. Then they complain that there is not enough affordable homes.

The insanity has to end. Doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ocel View Post
    A B S U R D!!!

These requirements are absolutely Absurd, and Costly.

It is an impossibility to protect everyone from everything!

All the government does is drive up the price of homes. Then they complain that there is not enough affordable homes.

The insanity has to end. Doesn't it?
    Well, people could not live places that burn to the ground on a regular basis. Or not complain about it, at least. The original poster seems to live in San Diego, which is one of the places where there are going to be regular brush fires. Since people seem to think they can live there, and expect fire protection, it's not unreasonable to make them bear the cost of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Bringhurst View Post
    Insurance rates are interesting. I owned a print shop 20 years ago. The building was remodeled by the owner and he had to put in a sprinkler system. My insurance rates went up! Water damage to paper products. Dick B.
    same conversation with car insurance.

"your rates are high, because you have an older car, its prone to mechanical failure"

so, i buy a BRAND NEW car ...

" your rates are high, because it costs more to replace "