Thread: Powermatic 14" BS for 600? good deal?

Question Powermatic 14" BS for 600? good deal?

I wasn't sure if $600 for a new model 14" powermatic that is in great shape (nearly new) with the riser block installed on it. Seemed pretty good, and it will do everything I need it to, but wanted to check with the experts at the Creek before pulling the trigger.

Thanks
    James

Well, setup like that with the riser kit it sells for around $1100 new. I wouldn't wait too long to pull that trigger, this deal won't be around long.

Bandsaw

If you decide not to get it, please let me know.

I'm figuring the replacement cost to be around $1000 if you order on line to skirt the taxes. My accountant suggests paying 40-60% of replacement cost on good working used machinery depending on condition, much of the gap in price comes from the lack of warranty on used machines. Some of the "New" price is going to pay for the warranty, which is essentially an insurance policy that the purchaser pays for, not a courtesy the vendor extends.

Anyway, $600 is spot on for that tool used in very good condition IMO. If you want it, move quick. I happen to own that exact BS, and I am very happy with its performance. Its Achilles heal is the motor mount, but that is livable and or fixable. You can't find a better stock 14" BS on the market presently.

Thank you all for the advise, I just sent the payment and will go pick it up tomorrow morning

It will be a major upgrade from my very crappy 10" craftsman 3 wheel BS. I was going to pay over twice that price for a Steel City 18", but I think the 14" will do everything I need, and the LOML is ok with the smaller price tag too

Now I'll have to get some blades for tight curves.

Peter:
    is there an issue with the mount? Should I try to reinforce it before it gets too much use?

Thanks again Creekers for the great info as always. I'll put some shots up when it comes home.

Thanks
    James

Quote Originally Posted by James K Peterson View Post
    It will be a major upgrade from my very crappy 10" craftsman 3 wheel BS. I was going to pay over twice that price for a Steel City 18", but I think the 14" will do everything I need, and the LOML is ok with the smaller price tag too

Peter:
    is there an issue with the mount? Should I try to reinforce it before it gets too much use?

Thanks
    James
    It sure will be a major upgrade. Its a real performer in the 14" weight class.

There is an issue with the motor mounts on jet and PM band saws. They share the same design, but the PM may actually be worse in use because it uses a multi-V serpentine type belt rather than a VX belt. The mount is a bit flimsy over all which may contribute a small amount of other wise avoidable vibration, not a big deal. I have use mine with the stock mount unmodified for several years, it is only a problem when the drive belt needs to be tensioned.

The real annoyance is that the motor pulley and wheel pulley must plane very close to perfect to keep the multi-v drive belt from flying off. The cabinet in which you must make adjustments is very small, and it is very difficult to tension the drive belt properly and keep those pulleys in proper plane. I have the cabinet from an older PM, they used to handle this with much thicker steel and a better motor mount plate with a hinge which allowed you to lock in the plane of the pulleys THEN adjust belt tension.

If I recall a few months back a gentleman here at the creek posted pics of his upgrade for the jet 14" BS which was quite simple, elegant and effective. I believe it was Bill Huber? check this link. Might help. WMH CS suggested I "Lay the saw on its side to use gravity to my advantage while making drive belt adjustments". And no, I am not joking, they really said that. I like Bill's idea better.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...highlight=band

PS: If you follow WMH's advise you may need a helper to raise the saw back up off the floor, it is a bit heavy for one person!

One more thing James!

Don't forget the pics when you get it...

I think we have the same saw BTW If so you are going to love it!!!! I mean love it!

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Well, the PM bandsaw has a new home Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Peter, I see what you mean about the motor mount, I'm now stuck trying to line up the pulleys while getting the belt tension

But it sure is a nice machine. Makes me want to get an all mustard color shop

One more question, I would like to put it on wheels, but it seems pretty easy to tilt (not too stable). Are the PM casters pretty good or should I get another brand?
    Last edited by James K Peterson; 06-16-2008 at 10:36 AM.

I have a few welded PM mobile bases and they are all pretty nice, but I have the BS on a shop fox mobile base, and while it works I have to move it very slowly and carefully to avoid it rocking. It hasn't tipped yet but its come close!

I'd consider the PM OEM base made for this saw if I had to do it again.

So.....
    Where are those pics?

Dewye
    Dewey

I have the same BS with the OEM mobile base. Very stable and rolls effortlessly around my shop. Highly recommended, almost worth the price. I paid $160.00 for it.

ok here's a pic of the new toy, I mean tool

Took a little while to get it aligned/tuned, but it cuts great
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James K Peterson; 06-16-2008 at 9:42 PM.

Nice catch on that PM saw. It looks like it just came out of the box.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

Yep, that's the one. Just like mine. Great find... I paid $850 for mine without the riser block.

Dewey
    Dewey