Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need columns

For a little friendly competition......

Brian Weick is a friend of mine, but I thought I would throw my hat into the ring as well. If you want staved columns, he's better equipped for that. However, I am equipped to make non-staved, solid or hollow columns. Also, I would imagine there are some people locally who could make them, and you wouldn't have shipping fees.

Hutch

A wall is either load bearing, or it isn't. Sort of. Unless the house is like mine, 100+ years old built with undimensioned lumber by standards considered over spanned by modern codes, so some walls bear a load that was some what unintended by design.

Any way, does your design require columns, or can you fabricate boxes to cover structural posts? I'm thinking craftsman style here.

Have you tried looking at stair newel posts? These are available from approx. 39" to 50". Try searching under "LJ Smith", "Coffman" or "Babcock". Babcock is the brand that the orange borg carries.

I would also suggest that perhaps you have a local builder look to see what exactly is needed to support your ceiling. Whether it needs to be a flush header/beam or a dropped one. If your lucky, you may have end bearing trusses, which means you need no support anywhere in the middle.
    Last edited by Gary Lee; 06-13-2008 at 8:11 PM.

Amy, I'd suggest you consider using the floor to ceiling lally columns to support the load and build the wall and "show" column around them. This gets you the best transfer. But be sure that the transfer has something to carry it UNDER the room, too. Likely to you do if you're replacing a wall, but be sure that you're covered well right at the point the weight will be pointed at. BTW, I used this column technique when I did my kitchen renovation back in 2003. It replaced a short column sitting on top of a cabinet/counter. Here's a couple pics:

On that last example, your column would be more embedded in the wall rather than being at a cabinet like here. Note that the two lally columns are directly over a pier that is under the brick floor so that the weight of the second floor is transfered down to the footings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would not set a column on top of a wing wall that had any load on it. What I have done is build a square fluted column 6 1/8 outside and 4 5/8 inside. I cut the higth of the wing wall off one of the 4 5/8 pieces, assemble the column, flute it then slide it over the sheetrocked wall. This will hold some weight but when more support is required you can add 2 studs to each end of the wall and install the short side of the column after it is slid over the wall and studs.
    Cannon

Just make them

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Leigh Baker View Post
    In the process of a living room remodel I have removed a load bearing wall to open up between dining room and living room. I have it supported with temporary braces for the time being, and eventually plan on installing a knee wall with columns from the top of the wall to the ceiling. These will need to be approximately 3 feet, and will most likely be painted white.

I have had no luck with finding columns of different lengths. All I find at the borgs is floor to ceiling columns.

If I had a lathe I would plan on turning some, but I don't, and can't buy one.

Any ideas?
    I had a similar dilema on a job several years ago and just started having fun with maple. I left 3) 2 by 4s inside and just mitered the outsides of them to except an octagon column that I made mostly on site using biscuts and glue.
    I ended up being real happy with them and was glad they werent round. It pulled all the maple work I did in the rest of the room together

Heres a link to a better picture of this
    http://woodworkers.us/gallery2/main....0512a29d8361ee
    Heres a view of the other column on the other side of the room

And again a link with a better picture

http://woodworkers.us/gallery2/main....0512a29d8361ee
    Last edited by William OConnell; 06-15-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: clarity
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get