Thread: Contractors Saw d/c

Contractors Saw d/c

If I were to build an enclosed outfeed table on my contractors saw (think of it as a box in which the motor would be enclosed, top and three sides), and then hook up a 2+ horsepower dust colletor to it - would the motor be in somekind of jeopardy? It would in effect be making a cabinet saw out of a contractors saw.

You could do it if your motor is a totally enclosed fan cooled type (TEFC). If it's a standard Open Drip, then the dust would get to it.
    Howie.........

I remember posts a while back by Chuck Lenz (I think the spelling is right, funny how you remember some people ) for contractor saw DC that kept it from getting to the motor. A metal shield, behind the blade, deflected the vast majority of the dust downwards. Do a search for his posts and see if that option would work for you.

I used Chuck Lenzs ideas to make my contractor saw dust collection. I used wood instead of steel. I split a piece of 4" pvc pipe in half and put it behind my saw blade to deflect the dust down into the collection chute. Covered part of the back with cardborad. It seemed to work better with just a small part of the back covered, less than half. The only problem with mine is I can't bevel cut unless I remove the pvc deflector, but I could probably cut off the bottom part anyways. It works really well.