Thread: Simple Walnut Coffee Table

Simple Walnut Coffee Table

I just completed this simple table for my wife for her birthday. I learned a lot from this project, even being so "simple." This was also my first attempt at tapered legs, which I freehanded the taper. I took the advice of some fellow Creekers, and went with the Kreg Pocket Hole jig to attach the aprons. I know there are some flaws, but the wife loves it and that is all that matters. Please feel free to give you opinion good or bad. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work, Matt! A wonderful gift, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt, good job, enjoy it and put your feet up!

Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Looks good from here.

Where are the flaws?

Next time, try some inlay.

Just kidding... Great job! You will find that SMC has some extrodinary talent but we also have regular guys who don't make a living with wood, rather a hobby. Isn't it a great feeling to know that your wife loves the table? Chances are you (the designer and builder) will be the only one to notice the flaws, only because you are the one who created them. We are always harder on ourselves.

Keep it up!

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Good job Matt. Looks good. I built a coffee table and end table set 2 years ago out of oak with ceramic tile inlayed in the tops. Everyone loves them (and my mother has just ordered a table for herself), but everytime I look at them I see the minor flaws that no one else even notices. My point is that what looks like a flaw to you, is not noticed by most people. The creator always notices those things.

What type of finish did you use? very shiney!

Nice work. I really prefer the simpler designs. That way when you have design elements, like the tapered legs, they really show the piece off.

A woodworker I know reminds me "those arent flaws, they are proof its hand made " (even though I dont see any flaws in your piece .... )

Excellent job, Matt. Any small flaws aren't noticed by most and if the wife loves it... you won the major battle. The small flaws are all small skirmishes with no real significance once the major battle is won. What you learned by making those small flaws will probably not repeat themselves on other projects. It's just the process we all go through as we climb the ladder.

Sarge..

legs are too thick !

disrupts the aura of the whole aesthetic !!
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    A woodworker I know reminds me "those arent flaws, they are proof its hand made " (even though I dont see any flaws in your piece .... )
    These are the things that make a piece unique. I love Walnut and use it every chance I can. Your table is very nice. I have a Walnut coffee table I made in high school, that we still use today. I have made lots of furniture since then that is more complicated and much nicer, but the Walnut table is the piece Im most proud of.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Finish

I used several coats of the semi gloss arm r seal on the enitre table. I pretty much flooded the top, wiped with a brush with the grain and let her dry.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up clean lines in walnut

Hi Matt,
    Your table looks good!
    You have stumbled on what I consider to be my shop secret...
    Pleasing my wife cannot hurt, and just might help me get more tools and
    machines!
    Keep challenging yourself and don't forget to bring us more pics...
    Thanks for sharing,
    be well,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Matt, that's a beautiful table. I'm sure your wife will cherish it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Beautiful table Matt! People will only see the flaws if you point them out!

Bryan

Super nice Matt. My only suggestions don't pertain to the table as much as your outlook on flaws:

• There are very few flaws worth being ashamed of.
    • Even some of those, no one will see but you.
    • The people who are sharp enough to spot them will likely be the type of people who will share a laugh and a beer over it, rather than try to belittle you for them.
    • Rest assured that you will not make those mistakes again. But you'll be surprised at how creatively you make new ones!
    • Laugh at yourself. This is supposed to be fun.
    • I have a theory that no matter who made the projects shown here, there are flaws in them. You don't see most of those either, right?
    • Never point out the flaws to your wife, no matter how upset you are when you come in the house at the end of the day. When she asks why you're in such a foul mood, tell her you banged your hip on the table saw or something.
    • Pocket hole joinery is nothing to be ashamed of either. If they had it available to woodworkers 100 years ago, rest assured they would have used it.