Thread: Frameless Cabinets - Couple of ??

Frameless Cabinets - Couple of ??

I'd like to build a few frameless cabinets for our laundry room over the next couple of weekends. I have a couple of questions as far as frameless design go.

Do people typically use actual strips of hardwood or do edge banding to the face of the cabinet?

How much of a gap do you leave between the door and the edge of the cabinet? Most of the designs I see have something like a 1/8" or 1/4" edge - but it's hard to tell from pictures.

Doors are going to be typical Shaker style. I wanted to do all kinds of fancy routing...but the wife doesn't want it!!! Makes my job easier..but not as fun

For most frameless cabinets, doors are usually overlay. Edgebanding is visible only when the door is open. Veneer wouldn't be a bad choice in this situation.

When you're talking about gaps around the door, are you talking overlay or inset doors? If overlay, the gap is generally set by whatever you're using for bumpers. There are 1/16"-thick bumpers, or you could use hinge-mounted dampers for an even smaller gap. If you're talking inset, I use about 1/16", but that means you have to be a good installer; installation can wrack a box, and a tight door doesn't fit right. An eighth would give more leeway, and would still be okay for a laundry room. (Overlay doors have the advantage that they cover any installation wracking.)

Use cup hinges. They provide adjustability after you've installed the cabinets.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 06-14-2008 at 10:30 AM.

I'm talking about overlay doors. I didn't know if the door consumed the entire face of the case (width and height) or if they are cut a bit smaller (1/8" total for 1/16" on each side). To allow for the gap between the doors and opening space.

I do plan on using the Euro cup hinges.

Edgebanding - I mean this in regards to the box itself. I'd like to use prefinished maple on the inside with a veneer outside that can be stained. But I wasn't sure if most people edgebanded or added hardwood strips around the outside face of the box.

Sorry If I didn't make myself clear or use the right terms. This will be my first cabinet job....thought I'd start with the laundry room

Your doors will generally be slightly smaller than the case they cover...you'll want to choose your hinges first and use the technical specifications to determine exactly how you want to size your doors based on reveals.

Edge banding with veneer edge band would be my choice for full overlay on Euro cabinets.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's what I needed to know Jim. Thank you for the helpful tips!

Any suggestions on the specific euro hinges I should use? Rockler had quite a few! I'm sure other web sites have them also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Thompson View Post
    Any suggestions on the specific euro hinges I should use? Rockler had quite a few! I'm sure other web sites have them also.
    Start here: http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/Gr...B%20Clip%20Top

Do read the Applications page.

I had to run by Lowes today to get a new toilet for our 1/2 bath and I stopped to check out the cabinets just to get some ideas and see if they had any frameless. It appears all of their "frameless" looking cabinets are actually framed face, but they have a L shaped hinge that allows the door to overlap to the edge. There's maybe a 1/8" or less gap between the side and the door. Odd.

Jamie - Thanks for the link. It's what I needed - good instructions!