Thread: More questions? No, now answers...

More questions? No, now answers...

This is an overall thank you to everyone who has been so kind to help in the recent past with my questions. The learning never stops, and just want to update you on what I have learned.

First, I got my 'new' stanley jack plane bottom mostly flat. It still needs some more work on it, but it is much better now. To compliment my hand plane collection, I did find someone with a 1940's #4 that I purchased for $15. The plane is in great shape with a little rust on the iron. Haven't used it yet, but looking to clean it up this weekend and continue to work on my planing technique. I still tend to press too hard near the ends of the workpiece, thus tapering it. Shrug.

Someone mentioned a scraper for fixing grain change problems. I just received the one I purchased in the mail. Now on to read Bob's post on getting that setup. Also received the hirsch mortise chisel yesterday. Wow. It's a monster. However, I was VERY unimpressed with the quality of the handle. It looked like a first-grader painted and finished it. I may actually have to redo the finish on it because of how bad of a job it is. Maybe I shouldn't have expected so much.

Lastly, I found and purchased a Starrett square on Ebay. Boy, does THAT make ALL the difference in the world. That goes to show, sometimes it is better to pay up for much better quality tools. Maybe I shoulda bought the two cherries mortise chisel? Time will tell.

Oh, yes....more questions are bound to come.

Hi Mark-

One of the first tips I was ever given about planing technique was to put my weight more on the front knob at the beginning of the stroke when starting and to gradually shift the weight to the tote end of the plane when finishing the stroke. This will greatly diminish your problem of tapering or sniping the end of the board.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Yes, this is what I have been trying to do, but I guess I still have too much pressure at the end. It takes a LOT of concentrating, but I hope to eventually gain enough experience to form a good habit of doing it right.