Thread: My Krenov-inspired cabinet - knife hinges, and finally, a dry fit

My Krenov-inspired cabinet - knife hinges, and finally, a dry fit

From my blog post:

In this episode I show how I laid out and chopped the mortises for the knife hinges in the doors, and in the carcase. Then, for the first time, I do a dry fit of the frame and panel doors to the carcase.

The knife hinges provide an elegant solution in this cabinet, because they are unobtrusive; they remain hidden for the most part, with only the heel showing a fraction of the hinge. They are seen only when we open the doors.The tricky part of using this type of hinge is the layout: The more accurate the layout, and the more accurately we cut the mortises for these hinges, the better they appear once we finish chopping the mortises. The secret (I can’t remember where I read it) is to cut inside the dimension of the hinge, and then enlarge the mortises to final dimension when we reach at least half the final mortise depth. This ensures a tight fit; on the other hand, if we start at full mortise width, we run the chance of ending with sloppy mortises, much wider than the hinges.

Chopping the mortises using hand tools, primarily sharp chisels and a small hammer, is a pleasurable experience. This is the time to take our time, and do a good job, for the reward is nice-looking, and tight-fitting mortises around the hinges. I found myself taking breaks, both planned and unplanned, during the time I was chopping the hinges. Planned, to allow me to retain my concentration, and unplanned due to powerful storms that swept through our region. But over the course of two days I finished the eight mortises, with total time of about 6 hours on the 8 mortises. Remaining patient is absolutely key, to make it a pleasure to do this job. Turn on some jazz, or whatever favorite music you enjoy, and get it done!

Enjoy!

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Lookin' good, Al! Keep up the good work. I'm lovin' the blog video.
    "I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong...It seldom turns the way it does in the song"

Great Work Al. I also love the blog video. Keep them coming.

Steve Bolton

Blog Entries

Thumbs up cuts like a knife...(thru butter?)

Hi Al,
    Your usual quality contribution...
    I have come to expect good stuff from you, and become a fan!
    I like where you said 'the pleasure of sharp chisels'
    Looking forward to more,
    Thanks for sharing,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Bigelow View Post
    Lookin' good, Al! Keep up the good work. I'm lovin' the blog video.
    Thanks, Terry - I will keep going, then . I appreciate your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    Great Work Al. I also love the blog video. Keep them coming...
    Thanks a bunch, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Caza View Post
    Hi Al,
    Your usual quality contribution...
    I have come to expect good stuff from you, and become a fan!
    I like where you said 'the pleasure of sharp chisels'
    Looking forward to more,
    Thanks for sharing,
    WOW! This is unexpected, Walt - and thanks; you are very kind. I will continue with the video blog entries; they are such a large part of communicating today, and perfect for illustrating woodworking "stuff".

Thanks to all of you!

Last edited by Al Navas; 06-16-2008 at 10:50 PM.
    Al

Looks great Al! Reminds me of one I did recently:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tilted+cabinet

I am a firm beliver in using the best tool for each job and In my case even know the cabinet dovetails were cut by hand I used a router and 1/2" bit to mortice for the brusso knife hinges. Either way, knife hinges sure are a challange!

Keep up the good work!

C

Blog Entries
    You are both extremely talented. A big thanks for the video too. I use wooden hinges hand made using an incra hinge crafter. I've never tried using Knife hinges. I like them, especially now that I can see them in use. I'll put them on my 2do list. Here's a pic of my hinges in use. BTW Chris, I really like your brass hardware, mind if I ask where you got it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill,

The hardware that Chris used in his project came from Lee Valley, I actually ordered some yesterday. The work that comes from the folks here at the Creek is nothing short of stunning, always an inspiration.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Very nice Al. Can't wait to see it with a finish on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris del View Post
    Looks great Al! Reminds me of one I did recently:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tilted+cabinet

I am a firm believer in using the best tool for each job and In my case even know the cabinet dovetails were cut by hand I used a router and 1/2" bit to mortise for the Brusso knife hinges. Either way, knife hinges sure are a challenge!...
    Chris,

Your cabinet is absolutely stunning!!! I missed it when you posted it. The hand-cut dovetails are amazing; I can only wish I could cut them so nicely, Chris! But they are on my list of things to learn. On the mortises: I will definitely try using a router next time, as these were so time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    You are both extremely talented. A big thanks for the video too. I use wooden hinges hand made using an Incra hinge crafter. I've never tried using Knife hinges. I like them, especially now that I can see them in use. I'll put them on my 2do list. Here's a pic of my hinges in use. BTW Chris, I really like your brass hardware, mind if I ask where you got it?
    Thanks Bill - and you are welcome.

Your wooden hinges are terrific! I will start using these on some upcoming projects, as they enhance a piece so nicely - just look at yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Thompson View Post
    Bill,

The hardware that Chris used in his project came from Lee Valley, I actually ordered some yesterday. The work that comes from the folks here at the Creek is nothing short of stunning, always an inspiration...
    Heather,

Thanks for the information on the hardware. I was also going to ask, as it will come in handy in future projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Very nice Al. Can't wait to see it with a finish on it.
    Thanks, Peter. I can already picture it finished, but the challenge is between where I am, and the finished piece... The next step is trimming the doors to get the center gap just right, and that will be the topic of the next (short) video. The technique to do this is pretty neat; a design dilemma solved neatly by Norman Pirollo, of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Lastly will be the base. That still seems so far off, though.

Thanks you all for the nice and kind words!

Al