Thread: Mini runout

Mini runout

As usual I need advice. Have a manual speed change Jet Mini that has turned a multitude of pens. Today took a shot at base for desk set and used a wood scrap on face plate and a single screw holding the walnut on the wood sacrificial plate. . I have somehow developed runout about a sixteenth or more. I can see the collar move so it's not the face plate. Jet suggested I tighten the end wheel with the two allen screws and I tightened it up on backward thread and it didn't help the problem. Have others had this probem? Maybe a solution. thanks Harry

best solution: get a big lathe
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Harry, how does every thing line up with your spurs? You may try cleaning the threads. If you have another face plate I'd try it as well and check it with a dial indicator with and with out load on the bearings. If I'm understanding ......... Or has your wood warped while turning?

Curtis-no room
    David, It's the actual shaft that's moving in and out occasionally. Sometimes pushing on the face plate I can see the whole shaft move back. Other times it appears tight. I was wondering if a large washer between the handwheel and the stock could be used to keep it from moving. The handwheel does not tighten up tight to the headstock bearings. Thanks for your help. Harry

Could be that the wave washer is broken. Right under that handwheel is a "springy" washer that is rather finicky about going into the correct place when putting things all back together.

I spoke to a Jet representative who told me once that there was a run of minis that had a problem with that washer somehow. I don't remember the details, but I would give Jet a call back on that....

Thanks Jim. That's exactly what I found and two are on the way. One for the floor and the other may get where it belongs. I picked up two bearings as well in case things get worse. Harry