Thread: Varnish problem - Crater or Fish Eyes

Varnish problem - Crater or Fish Eyes

I am in the process of finishing a cherry end table.

I used BLO, then shellac, then an alkyd varnish. I tried rubbing out the top but was not happy with the way it looked. While trying to rub out the top I used a polishing compound. I never could get the top looking the way I wanted it to look so I decided to recoat with varnish and try again at rubbing it out. I used mineral spirits to remove the polish. However, the mineral spirits must have not removed all of the silicone because now I am getting small craters in the varnish when I recoat.

My question is on what to do at this point. Jeff Jewitts book says to seal with shellac. Should I sand the finish as it now stands with 320 or 400 grit paper and then seal it with shellac? Would Zinsser Seal Coat do the job?

You would be more certain of success sealing in the silicone with aerosol shellac since the spraying doesn't mechanically disturb the silicone. The aerosol is also dewaxed shellac.

While I have no doubt that you have some sort of contamination on the surface, I don't think it is silicone. Polishing compound does not normally contain any silicone and wiping it off with mineral spirits should have left you a clean surface. The trick though, is to wet the surface and then use paper towels to wipe the gunk off. Keep a fresh face to the surface with each wipe or else you are just smearing the material around and not removing it.

Steve is correct that if the item is relatively small a spray can of Zinsser's Shellac should be applied. Do not sand after applying the shellac or you will not get the barrier protection you want.

If you want to rub out your finish look at this from another thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...39&postcount=7. In addition, polishing compound is the last step in rubbing out, not the first. After letting the finish fully cure for 3-4 weeks, start with 400 W&D paper, followed by 600 and then 1200. At that point you will have a satin finish. If you want more gloss, you can now use a polishing compound (not a rubbing compound) followed by a swirl remover.
    Howie.........

Howard,

You say not to sand after applying the spray can of shellac. But, the spray can of shellac yields an "orange peel" effect.

Mike

Sounds like you may have tried to put on too thick a coat.

Let it fully dry and lightly sand it flat using a sanding pad and 320 paper. Then apply another coat of shellac.

Practice on some scrap or cardboard boxes until you can lay down a smooth coat.
    Howie.........