Thread: Jointer/Planer Combo Users .. Adjustment Help Needed

Jointer/Planer Combo Users .. Adjustment Help Needed

I know their are several owners of different brands of J/P machines here at the creek. I currently own a Casadei FS51 machine and I thinks I have a slight sag in my in-feed table. I know the parallel height mechanism allow for adjusting the beds coplanar (SP?). My dilemma is there seems to be very little documentation on these machines for making adjustments. I guess the manufacturers believe they will be perfect for life. I had the same issue with my previous machine (Minimax FS350).

From what I can tell, from the two machines that I have owned, the mechanisms are very similar.

Any helps would be greatly appreciated.
    "Create a Vision...then make it a reality" (Some Assembly Required)

Mike Palmer

Mike,

Not an answer to your problem but I am very interested in a J/P combo. How do you like the Casadei and why did you dump the Minimax?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Mike,

Not an answer to your problem but I am very interested in a J/P combo. How do you like the Casadei and why did you dump the Minimax?

Chris, I really like the Casadei. It is built like a tank. It weighs about 1900-2000 LBS. The best part about it is it has a helicoidal cutter head. I can joint or plane highly figured wood with little or no tear-out. It has a shearing action kinda like a spiral router bit. It also makes the machine a lot quieter than a straight knife. (The 20" capacity is pretty awesome also).

I purchased the machine used from a one man shop. I got a really good deal on it so I sold my FS350 Minimax to a friend of mine. The Minimax is a very good machine. I had no problems with it at all. I would recommend it to anyone.

Mike Palmer

Nice...man, I need to find some nice deals on equipment like this! I bet that helical cutter is so nice...so nice....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Nice...man, I need to find some nice deals on equipment like this! I bet that helical cutter is so nice...so nice....
    Chris, Keep your eye on this site. http://www.exfactory.com/

Most of the machines will sell for much less than the price listed. Many sellers are motivated to sell.

MP

Mike Palmer

Hi Mike, I'm guessing but the sag or droop is at the end of the infeed table. On your machine the adjustment point will be where the table rests on the chassis and is locked in place. A lot of times it is just this one point you'll need to adjust to bring the table back up. You'll need a good straight edge of about 72". I use one of those welders magnets to hold the straight edge in place. Good idea is if your table is single lift (both infeed and outfeed raise/lower at the same time), then loosen the connection bar between them. Also loosen the table raise/lower lever. Once you get the straight edge spanning the two tables you'll see how much you need to adjust the bolts to bring the table back up. This is probably too short an explanation, but if you need any more info I can give you more via email. I've got some setup info for my 20" Felder that will probably apply to your machine also.
    Take care,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Renzetti
    Hi Mike, I'm guessing but the sag or droop is at the end of the infeed table. On your machine the adjustment point will be where the table rests on the chassis and is locked in place. A lot of times it is just this one point you'll need to adjust to bring the table back up. You'll need a good straight edge of about 72". I use one of those welders magnets to hold the straight edge in place. Good idea is if your table is single lift (both infeed and outfeed raise/lower at the same time), then loosen the connection bar between them. Also loosen the table raise/lower lever. Once you get the straight edge spanning the two tables you'll see how much you need to adjust the bolts to bring the table back up. This is probably too short an explanation, but if you need any more info I can give you more via email. I've got some setup info for my 20" Felder that will probably apply to your machine also.
    Take care,
    John
    John, I think I understand what your saying. I am familiar with the leveling bolts on the locking side. My confusion is making adjustments on the hinge side of the machine. What gets adjusted on that side? Could you attach a picture of that location.

Also, what do you use for a straight edge?

Thanks.

Mike Palmer

Hi Mike,

I have a MM 300S combo machine and I went and purchased a 72" Starrett straight edge. It was expensive, $330, but I figured I spent ~$9k for the machine so an investment in an accurate and long straight edge was worth it. The 72" straight edge works great on my jointer as it spans both tables, you can really "dial it in."
    JimB

hello john,
    i scooped up a dual 51 here recently and for the life of me cant figure out how to correctly adjust the beds (jointer top) coplanaR. both the infeed and outfeed raise at the same time. can you please send me the documents you have, thanks for your time
    Preston

Preston,

This thread is 12 years old and there is no one named "John" posting in it. If you meant "Mike", he hasn't been on The Creek in a couple months so you may wish to send him a friendly PM in regards to this thread.