Thread: 1st Piece with new TS

1st Piece with new TS

Hello All,

As I stated in a past thread my honey do list started off with an overwhelming amount of things to do this summer. Not one of those projects had anything remotely associated with wood. I bought a new SC granit topped saw in early may and haven't had any time to right a review on the saw because I haven't been able to use it. Well if anyone has been watching the news this past week. You will have noticed that unfortuantly MN, IA, and other midwestern states have lost a season. We still do have 4 seasons but instead of the usuall winter, spring, summer, and autum. We have replaced the spring with the MONSOON season. With the amount of water we have received in the past 3 weeks my outdoor prpjects have gotten put on the back burner and I decided to do a quick wood project.
    I ran down to the local mill, and bought 3 small ends: cherry, walnut, and maple. My dad isn't really a chess player but his birthday is comming and I thought this would be fun to try. So I made a chess board. I will post a pick of the board now and a review of the saw in a week when I get back from catching walleyes in Canada. Whew hew!!! I leave in a few hours. Hope you like the little board.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats real nice.

Great color combination

Great project...it looks like it was fun for you. Are you doing the pieces as well?

Hope you have a great trip.
    Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Paul

Great way to break in your new TS. Even if you dad doesn't play alot of chess, I'm sure he will show it off to his freinds.

Nice job again. Have a good time up here in Canada.

Looks great Paul. Your dad can play checkers on it also. Just mention that to him and he will understand as you don't see it much anymore with all the electronic gadgets. Some of the older gentlemen used to sit on benches on the old and now Historic Court House lawn. Playing checkers and trading jack-knives is proabably a thing of the past.

Well done...

Sarge..

Wow...great job, Paul!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Paul, and this coming from a chess player.

Similar boards by Drueke sell for over $100, and they're not that hard to make. These could be a real money-maker. As a money-maker, you'll want to make it with 2-1/4" squares, so tournament pieces will fit easily.

I'm going to make a chess board or two soon. Another fun project I want to make soon is a "prison" for the captured pieces.

Thanks for all of the complements guys. I just got home last night.

I don't plan on making the pieces I don have that kind of patience. Hopefully my dad will use it, I think he would enjoy playing checkers with his grandsons on it, we will see. It was just a fun project.

I have thought of making a few more for sale. Because I had next to nothing in them and I have enough scraps to make another.

Paul I would love to know what the finish you used on that walnut, its really great. I am currently making a walnut chest and havent decided yet what I am going to use but if turned out as good as yours I would be tickled to death.

Thanks Rusty