Thread: Stock 8" Grizzly Jointer cutterhead

Stock 8" Grizzly Jointer cutterhead

Does anyone here think there would be a market for a lightly used Grizzly jointer cutterhead that was replaced by a shelix cutter? I can't imagine ever going back o I thought I might try to sell it. Also what would something like that be worth, I have no idea, I acan't seem to find any comparable sales on ebay or anywhere else for that matter.

Thanks

I don't know the answer but would offer a couple thoughts....you could call up Grizzly and ask them how much a replacement cutterhead for your machine would cost, then you'd know what it's potentially worth. Of course then you would need to find someone with the same machine who needed to replace their cutterhead, and didn't want to replace it with a insert type.
    Alternately you could throw it on an auction site with a reserve that you wouldn't want to go under. Of course it will cost you a couple bucks this way but would also give you a pretty wide audience.
    My guess is your best bet will be to pigeonhole it somewhere as it may end up not being easy to unload, but it's just a guess.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Not likely as mentioned that a cutter-head itself would go down. Bearing a different story but most cutter-heads will last a life-time. Just my opinion of course but if you doubt that.. call Grizzly and ask them how often they replace a cutter-head that wore in lieu of defective.

Regards...

Sarge..

I have the same situation with my Powermatic model 60 jointer. The old cutterhead is like new. I will never use it again. I have advertised it in several locations for $100 and I've had zero inquiries. I have also advertised a lightly used Tersa cutterhead for the same jointer for $200 ($400 new) and had zero inquiries. I assumed that someone would have an old jointer that needed a replacement cutterhead, but I guess if that happens they are buying something else.

I won't unload the original for less as I hope to upgrade to a 12" jointer (if I find the exact model I'm looking for), and when I do, I'll put the old one in the jointer and sell the Byrd separately. I think the jointer and the Byrd head are worth more separately than if the Byrd is installed already....joe

It is worth a lot to someone who needs it, but unfortunately not worth much to anyone else. If the timing is right you could recoup some money, but if the right buyer isn't out there you are better off shelving it as a spare instead of just giving it away for pennies.

Experience with Tersa Cutterhead

Joe,

Waht do you think of the Tersa Cutterhead? Did you have it in an older or new model jointer?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I have the same situation with my Powermatic model 60 jointer. The old cutterhead is like new. I will never use it again. I have advertised it in several locations for $100 and I've had zero inquiries. I have also advertised a lightly used Tersa cutterhead for the same jointer for $200 ($400 new) and had zero inquiries. I assumed that someone would have an old jointer that needed a replacement cutterhead, but I guess if that happens they are buying something else.

I won't unload the original for less as I hope to upgrade to a 12" jointer (if I find the exact model I'm looking for), and when I do, I'll put the old one in the jointer and sell the Byrd separately. I think the jointer and the Byrd head are worth more separately than if the Byrd is installed already....joe

A fellow 'creeker sent me his 8" head for a shop made jointer project I'm planning. If that proves viable, then other folks with smaller jointers and larger tastes (or just a jones to make their own tools) might be interested.

We put things like that in a pile near the dumpster, turn around for a minute and the scrap fairies take care of it. I have yet to actually get to see a scrap fairy, but during these trying times, they never seem to take long.