Thread: Turning the mesquite

Turning the mesquite

I have been getting ready for some down time starting next week when I have knee surgery. YEAH! I have sold some of my turning supply rather than having it sit there for the next few months, but I did get a couple of things turned, albeit on one leg for part of the time.

A mesquite bowl turned from a crotch piece of wood. It is 10.25" x 2.25" and finished with Danish Oil. It has the remnants of both limbs forming the crotch with some bark in between, sap wood on both sides, and a long dead limb right in the middle of the bowl. It looks kind of "westerny" in person. (Yes, I made up that word.)

The second piece is a bowl 10.75" x 4.25" and finished with Danish Oil. The tracks in the side are from mesquite borers. I turned it so that the holes do not go all the way through, but are just for decoration on the outside. I guess that makes it really a bowl and not art. The borer holes are almost always just in the sap wood, so you can turn them out if you want to, but you end up with a smaller bowl and not much sap wood.

Both pieces were turned from green wood from start to finish in one sitting. Mesquite is very easy to turn when green and it doesn't seem like it moves at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robert,
    Best of luck and wishing speedy recovery on the knee surgery. Still have most of my stash of your lovely mesquite and just got new hollowing system to use on some of it. Somehow got to messing with ribbons lately, which seems to take a lot of time, and is mostly messing and very little turning.

New mesquite turners, for long term storage it might be good for log sections to debark and turn off the sapwood and the worms, as the latter will continue to munch on your prize wood for many months.
    Richard in Wimberley

Robert - I hope all goes well with your knee surgery next week and that you heal quickly!

Nice bowls! Beautiful wood! Really like the simple form of the second bowl and the contrast of the woods! Hopefully you won't be away from turning for to long!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Robert good luck and get well soon. Hate to here you have to be away from the lathe so long. Time to stock up on some books and videos. Great looking pieces, just love mesquite. Wormy mesquite does have some wet surprises sometimes. I do love the worm tracks, natures own texturing tool. Good luck with your surgery, hope your back to turning soon...Bruce

Robert
    they look good. One of the pieces you sent me still had a dead bug in one of the holes. But the all got turned away.

Bob

Well done there Robert and here's to a speedy recovery, AGAIN

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"