Thread: Help on trees

Help on trees

I have two giant maple trees, one in my front yard and one in my back yard. I'd like to have them taken down, but I don't want them just to go to a woodshredder or something. I'd like someone to make them into boards to use. Does anyone know of anyone in the southern Ohio area who would do this sort of thing? They could have all the wood if they took the trees down for free. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Justin,

I had the same problem a few months ago. We had an ancient Mesquite tree with a trunk that was 32" across. We wanted the tree gone but didn't want to spend a whole lot of cash. I called a friend that belonged to the Arizona Woodturners Association and offered the wood to him if he would cut the tree down. He got together with a few other club members and within two weeks all I had left were the smaller branches which we just burned. The tree is gone and I still have cash in my pocket. We did provide drinks and food to the guys.

Have fun,

Craig McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Craig McCormick View Post
    Justin,

I had the same problem a few months ago. We had an ancient Mesquite tree with a trunk that was 32" across. We wanted the tree gone but didn't want to spend a whole lot of cash. I called a friend that belonged to the Arizona Woodturners Association and offered the wood to him if he would cut the tree down. He got together with a few other club members and within two weeks all I had left were the smaller branches which we just burned. The tree is gone and I still have cash in my pocket. We did provide drinks and food to the guys.

Have fun,

Craig McCormick
    Think they are up for a roadtrip?

Not a bad Idea. Unfortunately I don't know of any wood turning assocations around here. I'm new to the hobby. I'll have to check around. Maybe someone at the woodcraft store would know?

These trees are huge, so there would be plenty of wood for everyone.

Thanks for the idea!

To find someone with a sawmill the best resources to contact are to call Woodmizer or go to the Woodweb site and click on the link 'find a sawyer'. I assume from the size of these trees you don't want to try to haul them, so finding someone with a Woodmizer or that type bandmill or something like a Logosol will be probably the best thing. You amy be able to find someone with a simple chainsaw guide but it would be very tedious work for two large trees. checking with a woodworking store such as Woodcraft is also a good resource as they may have contacts (we leave business cards there with contact information for our woodworking business).

Should you find someone promising query them as to how best to prepare the trees for them....if you can fell and limb them it would save a lot of time for the sawyer, and time is money.
    And now for something completely different....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Wolfe View Post
    To find someone with a sawmill the best resources to contact are to call Woodmizer or go to the Woodweb site and click on the link 'find a sawyer'. I assume from the size of these trees you don't want to try to haul them, so finding someone with a Woodmizer or that type bandmill or something like a Logosol will be probably the best thing. You amy be able to find someone with a simple chainsaw guide but it would be very tedious work for two large trees. checking with a woodworking store such as Woodcraft is also a good resource as they may have contacts (we leave business cards there with contact information for our woodworking business).

Should you find someone promising query them as to how best to prepare the trees for them....if you can fell and limb them it would save a lot of time for the sawyer, and time is money.
    If I had the equipment I would definitely try to take the trees down myself, however all I have is a 14" electric chainsaw that is almost as old as I am and had a heck of a time cutting through a 3" diameter branch from the last storm we had.

sounds like a good reason/excuse to go buy a nice chainsaw!
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    sounds like a good reason/excuse to go buy a nice chainsaw!
    Make sure you read the instructions
    Attached Images Attached Images

What kind of maples are these? Heck for 2 sugar maples, I'd drive down there and drop them.

Depending on their proximity to your house, your home owners insurance coverage and the liability laws in your state I might make sure the person felling the trees is licensed and bonded. Logging is one of the most dangerous occupations going statistically. My Dad (not in your area) runs a small fire wood business and gets calls all the time to fell trees. Many people offer to give him the wood in leu of payment which he typically refuses if the cutting is close to a structure as the value of typical standing timber is marginal and the risk of cutting near a residence is considerable.

He has been called to clean up several accidents involving unqualified chainsaw operators and garages! The worst is when a big tree comes part of the way over and stops or catches on something else leaving it unstable and unpredictable. My experience is that the person willing to take logs for payment for risky work may not be the person you want cutting trees near your home, as many professional tree cutters and sawyers are hardly short on supply of wood.

If the trees are in open space it should be considerably simpler to deal with. I do hope you can find some one to handle the trees safely and at no or reasonable cost. I would make safe the first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Martyn View Post
    What kind of maples are these? Heck for 2 sugar maples, I'd drive down there and drop them.

They are silver maple trees. Not sugar maples. I've been told to check and see if they have any beetle holes because the ambrosia might make it more worthwile to someone.

You may want to go over to the Shopsmith forum and ask the same question. Nick and Drew ,who host the forum, work out of the Shopsmith office in Dayton and may have a contact for you.

You might check out Forestry forum, lot of sawmill operators on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Leiwig View Post
    They are silver maple trees. Not sugar maples. I've been told to check and see if they have any beetle holes because the ambrosia might make it more worthwile to someone.
    I live in southern Indiana. In this area, ambrosia maple (even fas) is routinely cut into pallet lumber or sold as 3 common for hidden furniture parts because there is no other market for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Depending on their proximity to your house, your home owners insurance coverage and the liability laws in your state I might make sure the person felling the trees is licensed and bonded. Logging is one of the most dangerous occupations going statistically. My Dad (not in your area) runs a small fire wood business and gets calls all the time to fell trees. Many people offer to give him the wood in leu of payment which he typically refuses if the cutting is close to a structure as the value of typical standing timber is marginal and the risk of cutting near a residence is considerable.

He has been called to clean up several accidents involving unqualified chainsaw operators and garages! The worst is when a big tree comes part of the way over and stops or catches on something else leaving it unstable and unpredictable. My experience is that the person willing to take logs for payment for risky work may not be the person you want cutting trees near your home, as many professional tree cutters and sawyers are hardly short on supply of wood.

If the trees are in open space it should be considerably simpler to deal with. I do hope you can find some one to handle the trees safely and at no or reasonable cost. I would make safe the first priority.
    I definitely have to agree with what Peter said. For liability reasons, it's just not worth the risk, if there is any structure, hydro, ect. near the drop area, a professional is a must. I worked with a professional tree crew for 2 winters once, and its prety neat to see how accurately they can fell them.