Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much should a vintage miter saw and box cost?

miter

Paid $20.00 for an old Craftsman with a long Disston saw. I think these are in the garages of a lot of those Greatest Generation age group. Best bet is garage sales. Those wiley guys at flea markets know what they are. Its a handy thing to have. I think if you pay more than you should for the box and have to look for a saw your really over a barrel. If I wanted it now I'd buy a new one. OK, I know there not like the old ones but when you got a project you need a saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Kevin - Nice Job with your Mitre Saw. I was going to leave mine alone after I cleaned it up but now I'm tempted to do a full scale restoration.

I think the round plate was an anchor for a sliding stop. A screw went through a slot in the stop and was tightened to hold it in place for multiple cuts.

Rob ,
    Thanks for the kind words and also for the insight .I was sure it was something to do with a stop , I have looked at old Stanley catalogues online ,but have never seen the part that fits to that spot .
    The finish I used on the mitre box is actually Japanning I found a recipe online and mixed it up ,applied it and baked baked it in the kitchen oven for two hours and it came out perfect.

I had to make a new support strap for between the posts two screws to secure it and one screw to replace a missing one that fastened the feet onto the frame.
    I also made a new cutting board from Tasmanian Oak ,using the original board for a template.
    It was an enjoyable project ,fortunately having a metal lathe it made the task of making the new screws easy.

These come up on E-bay here in Oz occasionally ,but I think they are rather rare in this country I have seen three in the last 18 months including mine.There maybe a lot in old garages and such just waiting for a rescuer .
    I tried to buy one from your side of the planet ,as another member pointed out postage cost killed the purchase.

I have found it is very accurate ,great for box making and mitre work.

Edit :
    Just for interest sake ,I just looked at the PDF I have of the Stanley 1909 catalogue ,the cost of the 358 mitre box and saw was $13.00US and the shipping wieght was 36 lbs.You could buy the mitre box without the saw for $10.75 US.

Cheers
    Kevin.
    Last edited by Kevin Brenton; 06-27-2008 at 3:07 AM.

Found this yesterday!

Got both for $8.00. A few questions, any sites to clean and sharpen the saw, that you guys and ladies like? For the miter box where can I find parts? I enjoy this page, first post, take care, Dom004.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

4. I think $8.00 is a bargain, Dominic.

The miter box is a Langdon. I believe it's from around 1917 - 1920, based on it's design and the Disston saw medallion.

There appear to be some parts missing. I don't see the side guides. The good news is that the miter box will work without them. The bad news is that it's a bear finding replacement parts. A friend and I both have similar miter boxes and the only source of parts we've found are other miter boxes. Maybe some other forum members know of a good parts source.

Here's a drawing from an old catalog that provides a bit more info.

Hope that helps.

GR
    Last edited by Ganthan Rhodes; 06-30-2008 at 6:30 PM. Reason: Typos

Thanks!

Hey Gantham, Thanks for the info!

Here's a link to pages with information regarding Stanley mitre boxes and other hard to find Stanley tools and parts.

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st.../stan-mbox.htm

Kevin.

7. Patent Information

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Wellik View Post
    Hey Gantham, Thanks for the info!
    Glad to help. Here's the patent information on the early version of your Langdon miter box.

http://www.datamp.org/displayPatent.php?id=19094

GR

Does anyone know what this one is?

Looks like a Langdon Acme / Miller Falls but I'm not sure.

9. Graham.

Yes, it's a Millers Falls Langdon Acme. If you do a search on 'Langdon' on that auction site, you can see one that has been restored.

GR

Another for sale locally... $25 for the saw + box.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    My wife doesn't like power tools so I was thinking of getting her a miter box for cutting basswood for carving, picture frames etc.
    If you want a vintage hand miter saw for kicks, that's one thing. But if you want your wife to be able to trim pictureframes efficiently and cost-effectively, you'd to better to convince her to get comfortable with a power miter saw.

They're more accurate and you can sneak up on cuts which is important in fitting miters.

A mitersaw can be used very safely.

There are small miter saws that have 7 or 8" blades. While just as dangerous as their larger counterparts, the quieter motor and smaller size might be less intimidating for her.

Vintagesaws.com is one of my favorite spots for information on saws.
    http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/f...y/library.html

This link takes you to their library of great articles.

The Disstonian Institute is another.
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

Great source of info to date your saw.

Enjoy the hunt.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery