Thread: Lamp project

Lamp project

I'm building my own version of this lamp and have a question on how to cut one of the uprights lengthwise (corner to corner). The purpose of the cut is so I can rout a groove down the middle and glue the two halves back together. The lamp is 4' tall (hence a 4' long cut which must be perfectly straight) and I'm using 1x1 walnut stock (which is actually 0.75"x0.75"). The two options I see are using a table saw (and waste a bunch of material) or use a bandsaw. I'd rather not waste the wood using a table saw, but I've not really used a bandsaw before (convinced my wife to let me buy a Delta 10" specifically for this project ). Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

I would use a piece of bigger stock for that upright, once you've got the groove done glue it back together and plane/saw to the correct size.

I appreciate the input, but unfortunately cost becomes a factor and the next square piece up is 2x2 and a lot more expensive. Especially if I'm throwing away most of it. I can get three 8ft lengths of 1x1 walnut at $7.50/8ft piece and I hoping to keep it to that (plywood for the shelves not included).
    Last edited by Norman McCaig; 06-22-2008 at 1:34 AM.

Kevin is correct...the best way to accomplish this would be to work with larger stock. If you cannot do that, route the channel down one side of the upright, glue in a filler block and then apply a veneer face to that side of the post. Use your jointer on the opposite face to bring the upright back into square by removing stock the same thickness as your veneer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you go with Jim's solution place the veneer toward the back of the lamp toward the wall so it will be hidden from view.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

What about taking an 8ft length and cut it diagonally lengthwise with a table saw, but instead of having the blade centered, have the edge lined up with the corners? Then cut it in half (to two 4ft lengths), rout the groove for the wire and glue the two pieces together? I wanted to avoid this simply because it results in throwing away the other half of the 8ft piece, but it appears to possibly be the best way (best in that, if done properly, I believe the seams would be nearly invisible and still maintain the original size). Please advise.

You almost have to do it that way, Norman, if you don't want to up-size the stock. Another option is to build the leg from 4 pcs of 4/4 walnut that have mitered corners. This would leave a small channel for wire, but is a bit more difficult in this small size. (This technique is popular for building QS white oak legs for mission furniture where QS figure is desired on all faces)

There are always trade-offs and sometimes the best solution for the project end result isn't the least expensive. Pick what is best for you!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds good (just looking for confirmation or a method that is more appealing). Now I need to figure out how to setup my Delta 10" band saw. (Searching the site)