Thread: Looking for the best combination of stationary sanders

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for the best combination of stationary sanders

I have been spending countless hours trying to decide what is going to be the optimal combination of stationary sanders for my shop. Right now I have a Rigid belt/spindle combination that I got from the orange borg after I saw the sander test in FWW. It may have gotten very high ratings in the test, but I have to say I have been very disappointed in the performance. I simply can't make the sleeves and belts stay firmly in place regardless of how much I try adjust them. Are these typical problems for this unit or am I just too stupid to figure out how to use this thing even though I have even read the manual! The fact is that due to the continuing problems the Rigid is getting less and less use in my shop as I usually choose to sand everything either manually or with my portable power sanders.

Anyway, I have come to the point of my shop development that I need to get my stationary sanding in order. Here is my current "shopping list":
    1. Open end drum sander 18/32. I guess a wide belt sander would be nicer but at this point over the reasonable scope for me.
    2. Combo disc and belt sander (e.g. G1014Z or G1276)
    3. Oscillating spindle sander.
    4. Edge sander maybe not needed in addition to the belt sander??

My main shop activity is making furniture mostly from hardwood. I am hoping that my total stationary sanding solution will cost no more than $2500.

I would like to hear your expert opinions in this matter. What combination of sanders have you found necessary and properly functional in your shop, and if you are especially happy with any specific brand of a sander type mentioned above, I would like to hear about it.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Kurki; 06-22-2008 at 1:02 AM. Reason: &^$^%#%& typos!