Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for the best combination of stationary sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Swoveland View Post
    Maybe we should start spending your money, Pete.
    That works, Cary. So, based on your list it sounds like you think the "big" money is best used in a large closed end drum sander due to better performance, even though the maximum width of the board will be less. Something I have been contemplating myself, and agree that its better to get max 24" boards right than up to 44" boards somewhat right. I like that logic based on the fact that the quality of the drum sander work will be most visible in my work.

The G1071 seems like a no brainer for the value.

And getting a non-oscillating edge sander would save me $650 or so without losing a critical quality in most work, right? I just no longer wish to be buying machinery that I feel like upgrading again in a year. (Difficult to find buyers for used WW equipment in my neck of the woods.) So... I just want to be really convinced that I don't need the oscillating edge sander or just bite the bullet and invest the extra $650. Guess I can always push my retirement back a month or two for a reason as good as this...

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Kurki View Post
    And getting a non-oscillating edge sander would save me $650 or so without losing a critical quality in most work, right?...Pete
    That's my reasoning. Sure, an oscillating edge sander would be preferable to a non-oscillating one, it's just a bang-for-the-buck issue, given you are working to a budget. A related factor is that you wouldn't be using the spindle sander attachments.

My experience is that a non-oscillating one is just fine for edges and surfaces. If I were to spend more money on an edge sander I'd look to getting one with longer belts before I'd want the oscillating feature.

You might want to see what's available in the 6"x89" size. My General International is that size, and I think many competitors are the same. That gives you 4.5" more capacity than the Grizzly, which at times means being able to sand a board that you couldn't sand on the Grizzly. Also, I think 6"x89" belts may be more widely available than 6"x80"s. I may be wrong about that, and if so, perhaps someone could correct me.

Cary

I had similar poor experiences with the Ridgid belt/OSS. Nothing was square and it didn't work very well. Anyhow, I sold it and purchased a 6x80 edge sander and the large Grizzly OSS. The large OSS is a fantastic machine, and it gets used on most projects. The edge sander gets used much less but it's good to have around when you need it.

Have you seen the Laguna Platnium 2HP 6"X99" oscilating edge sander for $995?? I think that may be the best deal going on the oscilating edge sander.

Yet another opinion to complicate your choice. I think the occilating feature is worth the money on an edge sander runs cooler, plugs up less. This winter I got the Grizzly GO564 and have found it very useful. So far I've used it mostly for chair parts and cabinet door edges and find that several times a day I fire it up to fine tune odds and ends where it isn't really necessary, just handy and fast. I've found I can get by with a cheap OSS (Ryobi) since most things I can do on the idler pulley of the OES. In spite of what the literature says the separate, attachable spindles do NOT occillate. The table drops down, however, so you can use the long occilating belt on the idler spindle for curves, but that limits you to its 3 7/8" diameter spindle. I use that most of the time and pull out my Ryobi when I need smaller diameters. When it dies I'll get a nicer OSS, but I'm in no hurry for that to happen. A year and 1/2 ago I got the Grizzly 15," open end OBS and like it very much also. If I could only have one however I'd choose the edge sander and get by with a ROS for the faces.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark R

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Have you seen the Laguna Platnium 2HP 6"X99" oscilating edge sander for $995?? I think that may be the best deal going on the oscilating edge sander.
    Thanks Mike. I had complete missed this option Indeed looks like a larger unit but priced $250 lower than G0563. I could not find any owner's opinions about the Laguna unit here in SMC. Would love to hear opinions if anyone has one.

I am sure wondering if it should be 89" instead of Lagunas published 99". I am thinking typo.

I plan to defianately talk to the Laguna reps in Atlanta about this one.

I have heard Laguna shipping is a killer though - kills the "deals" that is.

Just purchased a G0512 after never using disc on combo machine. I am making a kitchen and inset doors are soooooo much easier with the edge sander.

My only point here is that it was $746 delivered to my driveway. That leaves $1750 for other stuff. Personally, I would love to have an dedicated thickness sander with a wide belt.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion