Thread: New Shop??????????

New Shop??????????

It looks like a move is coming and I will have to leave my 22'x24'x10'wall shop and build a new one. The original was built max size to fit the lot and had some limitations such as a 3' walk door on one wall and a double 3' (6' open) on another wall and lots of windows to make it suitable for use other than a woodworking shop. The new shop will be built more around an oversize freestanding single car garage so a future owner could rebuild a car, park a car, or something other than woodworking. I am considering a 16' or 18' wide by 24' long with 10' walls and a 3' door on side and a 9'Wx7'H insulated garage door off center, about 3' from side, on end. It will run parallel to alley access so entry would be from curved drive.

Main tools are:
    Powermatic 3520 Lathe - 800# gorilla that rules the show
    Delta Contractor saw with 52" Beisemeyer fence
    Delta 14" Band Saw
    16 1/2" Floor Stand Drill Press
    Dewalt Planer 12 1/2"
    Delta 8" Jointer - this aircraft carrier may have to go.
    Grinder, Belt sanders, miter saw, etc.

Some current ideas are:
    1. Concrete slab sealed with waterproofing
    2. Standard stud wall construction, insulated walls, and panel walls
    3. High (6' bottom to floor) sliding thermopane windows for light on alley side, and 5' bottom to floor on yard side (I'm 6' and want to look at yard)
    4. Exposed ceiling joists with insulation in rafters
    5. Metal roof with ridge vent
    6. 150 amp service with local panel
    7. Moving existing Oneida 2 hp cyclone and ductwork, but locating cyclone outside with filter return inside (noise reduction).
    8. Using window type AC and portable heat.
    9. Outlets 52" bottom to floor around shop
    10. Multiple florescent lamp lights on 2 or more circuits.
    11. No wash facilities - have access to 1/2 bath in house garage nearby.
    12. Covered porch area at walk door 10' x 12' for outside work space.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Then all I have to do is price it out, get building permits, have built, and move all existing tools, benches, material, etc.

Here's a few thoughts since your at the planning stage and have a shop now so two things to think about. Think big picture and then get more detailed once you have a size and layout in mind.

1. What do you like about your shop now and would like to carry over to the new shop? Do you like the current layout, area where you keep your hardware, etc?

2. What don't you like about the shop now and want to change? A nice size assembly table that would act as an outfeed table, an area or separate room dedicated to turning?

Consider a better cooling system than a window unit. Since this would be used 10 months or so per year look at one of those hotel units that acts like a central air system (the name escapes me).

This sounds like fun.
    Don

Heat pump?
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Jim,

This shop will be in Fredericksburg, TX and yes a heat pump would work well. Using a window unit type does not change the classification of garage/storage building which has a much lower tax rate, and that is a factor.

Looking at other buildings in the area, I have about decided that the building will have smart panel wood siding using 2' of horizontal hardie boards at bottom and then 8'vertical sheet above a brick ledge type separation. That will match some repair that needs to be done to siding on garage that was damaged from water splash wetting the bottom edge and swelling/rot damage. Still have a lot of planning to do and layout on site to work around some trees, and remove a tree or two. It looks like I will be moving my shop in a POD and storing for some time.