Thread: Grizzly G1019 in the classifieds

1. Grizzly G1019 in the classifieds

I've read as much about this saw as I could find online. Not sure about buying a 3/4hp bandsaw since most of what I would need one for is resawing.
    The guy is asking $200 for it. It's a two hour drive to go look at it, so I just wanted to get the opinions here before I take the drive.
    Here are the pics.
    http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/686002403.html

Blog Entries
    I had one - liked it a great deal. I now have a G0555 and while it works fine, I didn't feel like G019 was any less saw. It's got two speeds if I remember correctly, even though I only used the higher speed . I think you would be very happy with it - especially for $200.

I bought that model saw from a fellow 'Creeker a few years ago. It's my first bandsaw so maybe I don't know what I'm doing but mine is underpowered to do any resawing successfully. I can't get my blade to track at all, bought the recommended bandsaw books, etc and just can't get it set up right. I ended up putting a 1/4" blade on it and that seems to work the best for roughing out bowl blanks and just general cutting.

Mine only has one speed that I'm aware of. The person I bought it from made it sound like he never really resawed with it either.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

The 1019 is a 2-speed because the drive pulley is a double one. To change speeds, you put the belt onto the other pulley. I never did, though, when I had my 1019Z. Mine worked pretty well once I got it adjusted, but it took a lot of work. The main problem is that my riser block was not precisely aligned for a long time, and so I got too much drift until I straightened everything out. I also had to do some wheel shimming. Considering that the original price of that machine was probably a little over $300, $200 seems a little high. I sold my 5-year-old 1019Z (which cost about $50 more than the 1019) last year for $175.

I just now looked at the craigslist photos. The label says Grizzly, but the saw is a beige color rather than Grizzly green. Did the owner repaint it, or what?
    Last edited by Joe Spear; 06-24-2008 at 7:15 AM. Reason: adding a comment

5. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Spear View Post
    I just now looked at the craigslist photos. The label says Grizzly, but the saw is a beige color rather than Grizzly green. Did the owner repaint it, or what?
    I have not asked about the color.