Thread: Read before buying a incra fence with a Saw Stop!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Read before buying a incra fence with a Saw Stop!

Let me start by saying I have many Incra products and I have an Incra fence on my SawStop and love it. However I have had several issues which Incra will not address that can be fixed but you should be aware of. If I knew of them before it would save me a bunch of cash and time that is the reason for this post not to bash Incra in any way.

1. Brake trips. I tripped a break when the fence was close to the blade. Not sure how since the fence has no marks but SawStop verified it was the fence when they analyzed the break. The Incra fence is metal and if it is close to the blade you can get a contact. Either by the shift of the blade on start up/cutting or if there is a nail or sap pocket in the wood that will cause increased conduction. My fix was to order a piece of plastic coated plywood from woodcraft and make a aux fence. Stock fence is not metal so it doesn't have this issue.

2. Table not being flat and warping over time/temp. My cast iron ends started not to be flat and I could not get them adjusted flat. The stock fence system comes with two large angle iron pieces of steel that runs the entire length of the table. According to Saw stop there wings are a slightly softer metal to allow for some flex to adjust the table perfectly flat. This require support to stay aligned more than the three bolts that connect it to the main table. The pieces are not included with the saw (I think they should be included with the cast iron ends if needed to properly align them and support them) SawStop supplies them with the fence only or you can order them separate for about $300 for the set. Next, the Incra fence does not come with enough brackets to bolt to the wings and according to Incra there bar is not made to support them anyhow. So you either have to buy the angle brackets from SawStop or get lengths of steel and make them. I ordered 4 extra Incra clamps at a cost of $30 to help with the problem. I paid extra for the Incra fence for the SawStop and it is not correct according to SawStop. Incra believes the 3 bolts are sufficient to hold the table to the saw, again SawStop states wings need added support. I the consumer got stuck in the middle again.

3. Bolts that come with the Incra fence do not fit the SawStop, minor thing but again I bought the custom kit for the SawStop and got several bolts none of which fit, need to take a trip to the hardware store for bolts and washers if you get one of these to use it.

4. Incra fence rail is about a foot longer than the table (if this bothers you). Not a big deal but needs to be cut carefully not to crush it and sharp edges rounded, I used a dremel with a wire brush.
    Last edited by jason lambert; 06-23-2008 at 3:57 PM.
    -=Jason=-