Thread: Summer Olympics Translations

Summer Olympics Translations

Many of us have had a laugh at the instructions included with items made in China, they seem to be using translation software or maybe grade-school English students much of the time. For the Olympics, they have come up with a pamphlet to ensure more acceptable names for the food.

According to an article I read on this, mapo tofu was previously translated as "bean curd made by a pock-marked woman". Another good one is
    "fragrant spring onion sauce explodes cow" or "Government Abused Chicken" which was their translation for Kung Pao Chicken.

Now hopefully they will work on the signs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I read that same article on MSNBC.com about the effort to "standardize" on English menu translations. That was one thing I really got a chuckle out of on my two trips to China last year...for those times when there was a translation on the menu, they were "interesting" it the least and hilarious at times. Keep in mind that there are cultural aspects of the language that result in these expressions that seem quite funky to many of us non-Chinese speakers.

It was actually just as well to use the Chinese only version and point at the pictures. For those of you who have not traveled there, many of the restaurants, even some smaller ones, feature great tomes of incredible photography of the food. It's almost as fun as the Sears Christmas catalog was back when I was a kid. And, of course, sometimes it was just better not to know what it was made of...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    For those of you who have not traveled there, many of the restaurants, even some smaller ones, feature great tomes of incredible photography of the food. It's almost as fun as the Sears Christmas catalog was back when I was a kid. And, of course, sometimes it was just better not to know what it was made of...
    So that must explain why all the Chinese restaurants in Honolulu have the pictures. We though that was odd, never seen it here.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    So that must explain why all the Chinese restaurants in Honolulu have the pictures. We though that was odd, never seen it here.
    Fairly common in the smaller Japanese restaurants here, especially for the sushi.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And, of course, sometimes it was just better not to know what it was made of...
    You can eat what you want.....but this ole boy ain't putting nothing in his mouth that he doesn't know what it is!

Right now that includes tomatoes....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    You can eat what you want.....but this ole boy ain't putting nothing in his mouth that he doesn't know what it is!

Right now that includes tomatoes....
    I hope that by now you're feeling better!

Sammamish, WA

Joe,

I actually went to supper with one of my classmates tonight. It was the first meal I had since supper on Saturday night where I believe I got the tainted cobb salad.....that's all I had cobb salad & 2 draft beers - Imperial Red My fever appears to have finally broken today. I'm better.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....