I like the Minwax Polycrylic. It's clear and doesn't yellow. It dries to the touch in 15 minutes and can be recoated in 2 hours. It's low-odor and water cleanup.

Three or four coats give a good build. My wife says women like stuff to be shiny, and the gloss polycrylic is nice and shiny.

The biggest downside I've seen is the difficulty with brushmarks, and I've been thinking about trying out the foam brushes. Have you had experience with that?

I've gotten the impression that it might not be as durable as the solvent-based polyurethane. (Of course the latter will turn yellow with time.)

Has anyone seen durability issues with the polycrylic?

While we're on the subject, I'm thinking I should sand the raised grain after the first coat of polycrylic. Maybe with 320 or 400 grit? That seems less of a problem when I first apply a washcoat of 1# blonde shellac.

Tried to wipe on polycrylic, with and without diluting it with water. That didn't work out too well for me.

Don't see much point in sanding between coats, do you?

What would you think about building 2-4 brushed coats of polycrylic, letting it cure for a day or two, sanding lightly with 320 or 400 grit, then applying a final coat:
1) very thin coat with brush;
2) very thin coat with foam brush; or
3) spray/aerosol final coat.

Appreciate your thoughts and hearing of your experiences.

Fred