Thread: Sharpening the oval skew

Sharpening the oval skew

The oval skew is a challenge for me, and I'm thinking it's because of the rounded (oval) profile, which doesn't lay flat on the grinder rest.

I'm using the Jet Slow-Speed Wet Grinder and the flat tool rest. I have most of the jigs for the Jet grinder but haven't figured out one that would do any better.

Is it just a matter of practice/experience, learning how to hold the skew steady?

Any observations, tips, tricks or advice will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Fred
    If I'm gonna mess up this bowl, please, let it happen BEFORE I sand it!

sharpening the oval skew

Too bad you didnt get the Tormek wet wheel slow grinder. It has a jig that holds the oval shape just right and you can duplicate the bevel and angle easily, then just grind until both sides match.

Jet vs Tormek

I also have the Jet sharpener and love it. I made a jig for sharpening an oval skew. Tormek jigs work on the Jet.

David, can you share any information on, or source for, the jig you made. For about $50 I can get the Tormek SVS-50 multi-jig, and it looks like it would work fine on the Jet.

Harvey, I looked long and hard at the Tormek vs. Jet. There were several reviews and comparisons of the two machines, and I used the Jet extensively the week I was at Lonnie Bird's woodworking school. While each has its advocates, I suspect the Tormek is arguably a better machine.

What it boils down to is that I got the Jet with the base/drawers, machine cover, diamond dresser and all the jigs I could use for under $400 with free shipping. IIRC, that's about $150 less than the Tormek base price, and about $250-300 less than the 'comparibly equipped' Tormek would have been.

oval skew

Hi Fred,
    I bought my Tormek a couple years before Jet came out with theirs. If I were in the market today, I might buy the Jet. They are both excellent machines, Max

Go here and purchase the "Advance Pen Turning Video"

http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Video-3-Pens.html

It shows how to get that skew razor sharp using W/D sandpaper. I've do it, it works, its simple and it doesn't take an expensive sharpener.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 06-28-2008 at 8:40 AM. Reason: Because I'm getting old and forgetful

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Go here and purchase the "Advance Pen Turning Video"

It shows how to get that skew razor sharp using W/D sandpaper. I've do it, it works, its simple and it doesn't take an expensive sharpener.
    . . . . . . Go where?

Thanks. Jeff. Believe me when you get old, the mind is not the first thing to go...

Interestingly, Harvey, the current Woodworker's Journal just arrived and has a good comparison of the Jet, Tormek, Grizzly. From that review, it appears the Tormek is the better machine, although the price difference is even more than when I bought my Jet.

That said, I wonder if anyone has experience with the Tormek SVS-50 multi-jig, and particularly has used it with the Jet.

Fred