Thread: Which wax?

Which wax?

I've tried various waxes on various bowls, and I seem to be getting more confused about them.

Renaisance Wax, while expensive, seems easy to apply and buff. It's promoted for preventing fingerprints, and it has a pretty good gloss.

Good ole Johnson's Paste wax is cheap and buffs easily. It doesn't seem to have as much shine (or did I not buff it enough?)

Minwax paste wax, in my experience is about the same.

The friction polish, apparently a mix of carnuba and shellac - maybe a suspension of wax in shellac - seems to give a hard finish. I really like it on sugar maple. But it seems to require high speed and a lot of heat for proper application, and that's problematic, I think, on large turnings.

I have a mixture I made that's about 3 parts carnuba, 3 parts beeswax, and 4 parts paraffin with kerosene. It's a bit stiffer than the Minwax and seems hard to apply, but a few times it has given me a pleasing finish.

Bottom line: I'm not sure I'd turn around for the difference between these waxes.

I don't (yet) have a buffing system, so most buffing has been on the lathe with cotton knit material or paper towels.

What's been your experience, and do you have any tips for application, buffing, et cetera, that would improve my results?

Thanks,

Fred
    If I'm gonna mess up this bowl, please, let it happen BEFORE I sand it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Oliver View Post
    do you have any tips for application, buffing, et cetera, that would improve my results?
    Get a buffing system. The results are impressive.

I have the Beall system. Don't use it anymore. Have Briwax and Beeswax. Don't use them either.

Typically, I friction in some BLO followed by SealCoat. Let them thing cure for a few days then coat with a water-bourne varnish. Done. Never saw the reason to buff.

But that's just me. Who knows, I may go into caveman mode and not even use any finish.

Maybe a little spit.

Burt

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Want more confusion? Plain car wax. Not the type that mentions removing scratches, as it contains a delicate abrasive. More people buy car finishing materials than woodturners, so products are usually much cheaper. Look for carnauba.
    Thank god for those palms...

Kiwi

Don't forget Kiwi Shoe Polish wax—neutral or colored. Goes on easy, stays soft and contains carnauba......Ron
    A turning a day keeps the doctor away.