Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check those auto-pay bills!

Check those auto-pay bills!

I'm sure many of you have your bills paid automatically. Almost all of mine are, and I have plenty. Because it makes life easier, and because my business keeps me hopping 17+ hours a day, sometimes my statements and such don't get checked regularly.

My son fell victim to a (what I call) autopay scam a few years ago. Due to a bankruptcy he had a high interest car loan, and the bank automatically paid the lender on the first of the month. My son got slack in checking his statements, and it was over a year before he found out the lender changed the due date backwards to the 25th. Nothing about this was ever mailed to him. This meant every payment included a hefty late charge, and with the high interest he was paying, by the time he found out his loan balance was more than the original loan.

Since that happened I vowed to keep an eye on MY bills, but sometimes I get a little slack...

Case in point, my Chevron bill-- Since I work at home, and I'm always working, our gas bills aren't all that high, so while I DO check the amounts due each month, I don't always check out the whole statement. Chevron recently 'upgraded' my cards, and because of this I DID check out my statement closely yesterday...

Much to my surprise, I find a $75.00 late fee and $2.05 interest on the late balance added to the bill..

Now wait a minute, I'm on autopay! And Chevron drafts the money (vs the bank just paying them on a certain date)...

A phone call to a perplexed CS agent remedied the situation, she could find no reason for the late charge in the first place and credited my account it and the interest.

But had I not checked the statement closely, I'd never have known that. Chevron would've received a bonus. Like they need any more of my money!

And what did this "late payment" do to my credit score?

Check your autopays!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Had a similar issue in November with my auto pay health insurance payment. I checked while reviewing my open enrollment and saw they had deducted that month's payment twice two days apart. Then a couple of days later corrected it. I didn't call since it was all straightened out but seven days later I got a letter from them explaining the problem and making an offer to reimburse me for any late fees/overdrafts/etc that may have been incurred as a result of their error along with a note for my bank explaining the situation. I thought that was pretty up front of them. It was one of the large well known banks that begins with a "C" by the way.

My business Chevron is on auto-pay also. On 12/2, the first business day of December, I received a call from Chevron Collections for being late!

When I told them it was on auto-pay, they said they don't do auto-pay any longer. When I told them it had been on auto-pay as recently as last month, the agent went and checked with her supervisor and CONFIRMED that they no longer do auto-pay. I hung up and logged onto my account and confirmed that the auto-pay had paid my balance on 11/29 as normal and called Chevron. The Chevron agent said that the part of the company that processes payments was closed on the day after Thanksgiving so my payment wasn't processed until the next business day, when it was late.

Can you imagine getting a call from collections the next morning after a payment is late? Can you imagine the staggering incompetence it takes for an agent and her supervisor to confirm that Chevron does not do auto-pay. It required me explaining to them why it would be unreasonable that I would pay them a late fee when it was only late due to them not processing it!

Thinking about dumping Chevron/Texaco.............. If these people are earning minimum wage, they are grossly overpaid.

BTW, not reconciling bank statements? My personal + 3 business accounts are reconciled almost every business day.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 12-12-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dedon View Post
    Had a similar issue in November with my auto pay health insurance payment. I checked while reviewing my open enrollment and saw they had deducted that month's payment twice two days apart. Then a couple of days later corrected it. I didn't call since it was all straightened out but seven days later I got a letter from them explaining the problem and making an offer to reimburse me for any late fees/overdrafts/etc that may have been incurred as a result of their error along with a note for my bank explaining the situation. I thought that was pretty up front of them. It was one of the large well known banks that begins with a "C" by the way.
    All banks begin with a C / cash

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    ....Thinking about dumping Chevron/Texaco....
    Don't think too long...you'll get a late fee!!

Blog Entries
    Anything left to its own devices will go off the rails without proper care and feeding. I use EFT's for many things and I watch them all just like they were . . . . uh . . . . money!!! For any of us who are confused; credit cards are money too .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Credit cards usually don't report you to the credit bureau as late until you are 30 to 60 days past due. I screwed up recently and paid a few days late. The rep said I would not be reported to the credit bureaus until I was 60 days late. (They were nice and waived the late fee.)

Blog Entries
    Every time someone asks me why I insist on paying my bills by check (I write maybe 3-4 a month?), I cite this kind of thing as the reason.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Every time someone asks me why I insist on paying my bills by check (I write maybe 3-4 a month?), I cite this kind of thing as the reason.
    Ditto.

Larry

I have nothing that automatically debits my account with the exception of my life/business/house insurance and 'they' initiate the withdraw every month. I pay my phone/Heat/Elec./water/sewer via internet banking on the due date. Everything else and all business purchases go on my Mastercard, that way I only have one 'other' bill to pay every month. Doing it that way, I clear my balance off with every statement (it's a 'credit card' not a finance card) and because you pay no interest if you pay your full balance every month.. My card closes on the 16th, the statement comes in on the 20th and is not due until the 6th of the next month. So, if I have a big purchase, I do it on the 17 just as the new cycle begins, and I get to use the banks money interest free... I.E. I spend 5k on the 17th of December, that statement cycle closes on the 16th of January, and I don't have to pay it until the 6th of Feb.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    Bill,

I do the same but use my Discover... which means I also get money back (from 1-5%, sometimes more).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I use bill pay at the bank but I don't have auto pay set up for anything. Twice a month I get in there, compare the bills on my desk to the amount the biller sends to the bank and hit pay. It's annoying and keeps me honest and sane. Takes half an hour if I have my head up my nether regions, usually more like 5 minutes, twice a month. I can handle that and I look at my bills every month to make sure nothing has gone astray. Works for me.

Jon

My gripe is with the nations largest utility, Duke Energy. Since they merged with Progress, first month they said my payment was 17days late, even though sent a week before due date. Last month they hit me for another late charge because payment was due on weekend when their processing center is closed. This month again marked as late. Sent it out as same time as Shell and ATT bills which go to Iowa. They were posted two days before due date, even though they experienced a major snow storm. Oh yeah, power bill only has to go 120 miles from here, while others go over 1500 miles. Monday, I will file a formal complaint both with utilities commission and Ag's office.

As for paying by check-- I once sent a payment to Sears. $29, which was the total balance. Payment was due on the 25th (if memory serves). I mailed it 4 days early. Sears got it on the 26th, then hit me with a $35 late fee. Even though the CS rep had the envelope in her hand, postmarked 4 days earlier before the due date, they WOULD NOT waive the late fee. I'd been a PlatGoldium customer for 20 years, didn't matter. I told her to cancel my account, and that I'd never buy another thing from Sears. That was 15 years ago, and I haven't. And to rub salt in the wound, it DID show up on my credit report as a "30 day late payment".
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have every bill I can set up to auto pay in one way or another. There isn't any routine bill I have to pay by check. I'll keep doing it until I have problems I guess. I check my bank account every few days so I know if something is wrong right away.