Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of Knives from Global Tooling?

Quality of Knives from Global Tooling?

I've seen references to Global Tooling before. Knives for my jointer and planer are close to 1/2 of the cost of Hartville. Makes me wonder about the quality though. Anyone have any experience with them?

http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html

Global Tooling

I bought a set of knives for my 16" Jet planer and they are as good if not better than the set that came on the machine. Their price was a lot better than the Jet price too.

The posts you see about Global Tooling, are any of them bad? People are quicker to complain, than to praise. I have been more than just happy with the knives I got from Global. I did receive one knife that was nicked. Called them and they sent me a replacement. With freight rates being what they are, I would recommend that you buy two sets at a time. Shipping is almost the same for two sets as for one.

Thanks for the comments. I'd remember seeing links for them and comments on price, but really no comments on the quality. I just placed an order since I'll be reassembling my jointer in about a week. The planer is further out, but I figured I might as well get them in the same order.

I bought a set of jointer knives, and am very happy with them. I will buy from them again.

Matt, There knives are made of T-1. which is far superior to M-2 most manufacturers use. They hold an edge much longer. I also highly recommend Global tooling.

I got an email from them this afternoon with a tracking number. I saw they were in Oregon, so I requested Priority mail so that I would get them hopefully Saturday instead of the week or so that UPS would take.

Mine were shipped with the post office. Had them in four days from shipping. I'm on the east coast. It takes UPS a week to get me some bearings from Memphis TN. Their trucks are parked on the weekend.

I bought a set of carbide tipped 8" jointer knives that were of poor quality. They were warped or wavy when looking down their edges and the edge was not flat (.020"), looked like they were made in a chinamens back yard open barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery View Post
    Matt, There knives are made of T-1. which is far superior to M-2 most manufacturers use. They hold an edge much longer.
    Does this cause any issue in getting them sharpened?
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

No they sharpen as easily as any other tool steel. Being a machinist I grind my my own at work.

I purchased 2 sets of blades for my jointer. I can't comment on how long they will last, but they were sharp and in good condition. Also the company was very easy to work with. I would do business with them again.

They showed up in the mail today. They look pretty much like any other knives I've seen. One did seem to have a slight burr on it so I'll take a stone to them real quick before installation

Similar to what Russ says, I just bought them and am

installing them now. So, while i haven't used them yet or Global tooling, I am comfortable - I bought them from my local professional saw/carbide shop and was told the same as Russ, that they are superior to OEM knives. I have extensive experience with this saw shop owner and rely on his recommendations.

This thread came along at a good time. I was getting ready to order a set of Freud C400's for my Ridgid JP0610 that cost $20. + shipping. I ordered 2 sets of the T-1's for $35. including the shipping.
    Hopefully the blades will be good bang for the buck.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"