Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality of Knives from Global Tooling?

BTW, I didn't even think to look there but I noticed today that Holbren sells T1 knives at a an even better price. The knives I ordered would have been $45.82 + shipping with the SMC10 discount code.

Got my the shipping notice today for the two sets of knives I ordered. Should have them in a few days since they're coming USPS Priority.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dana Vogel View Post
    I bought a set of carbide tipped 8" jointer knives that were of poor quality. They were warped or wavy when looking down their edges and the edge was not flat (.020"), looked like they were made in a chinamens back yard open barn.
    Did you get these from Global Tooling? All we get from Global are cutter heads for our Weinig 6 head moulder and knife stock. The reason I originally sought this company out is because I didn't want to spend $400 on one cutter head so I decided to try out the ones made by Titan that Global distributes. I was wary because these cutter heads were only $170 (a little less than half price) but I am extremely satisfied with the quality, the only difference is that the Titan heads only have 2 set screws per knife instead of Weinig's 3. When I got the Titan heads they performed every bit as well as the Weinig heads. And as far as the knife stock we get from global, we have tried many different varieties of M3 uncoated knife stock, but when I decided to see how much better the coated knife stock works, I decided to go with the most expensive one. The one we got was from Global, and it's called "Endurance Super-Run". We nearly DOUBLED the number of lineal feet we could process by spending about twice as much on knife stock...but the REAL savings is from not having to sharpen knives as often, which takes 2 - 3 man hours to do per pair of heads...and there is always the fact that we are more productive...it's SO NICE being able to have almost twice the throughput on our moulder.

Back to your original statement, have you talked with John at Global Tooling about your poor quality knives? It has been my experience that he usually bends over backwards to make sure his customers are happy. I have nothing but pleasant things to say about Global Tooling, but that's just from my experience over the last 6 months. Best regards!

Monte,

This thread is 9 years old.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have used two sets of Global 6 inch jointer knives. The cost is less than sending a dull set out to be sharpened. I finally got a fixture for sharpening my own so I haven't bought any more but those are still in service.

6. Hah! I did not see that. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Russ Massery;879264]Matt, There knives are made of T-1. which is far superior to M-2 most manufacturers use.".....,,,,,,,, T1 is a good steel ,and M2 is good .But it is not true that most manufacturers use M 2. They use a "semi high speed steel"
    With "same hardness as M2" its low grade and the cause of a lot of tear-out even when "sharp". Magazine experts have been complicit in this