Thread: Watco Danish Oil and Satin Wax finishes for Stair rail

Watco Danish Oil and Satin Wax finishes for Stair rail

20 years ago we had a wood stair rail put in to replace an iron rail and asked for a natural wood finish. We're very happy with the result. I'm not up on finishes (just have Bob Flexners book) and guess what he used was something like Watco's Danish Oil or Watco's Satin Wax as he left some of the finish to reapply periodically (we've forgotten to do that) and when I went through my supplies in the back of my cabinet there were these two very old cans (one or both of which is what he left). I just bought 16' of red oak railing to go up after a renovation and need to know the steps to go through: sanding up to what grit and then what to use as a finish...Danish oil only, Satin wax only, Danish oil followed by wax? Would you recommend something else?
    Thanks for any input.

I would recommend you NOT use that old finish, that is for sure! Buy fresh finish. And with the combinations of products you cite, it would be oil first, wax second.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the response. How high a grit of sanding do I need to take it? 220, 320? Right now I have a 320 sanding mop on my drill press. I was even thinking of rigging up some way of sending it along the mop and saving myself some elbow grease. Probably not a good idea, right. Oh well, I was just thinking.

As Jim says, discard the old finish. However, Watco is still made and you can get it at any big box. You can also purchase any furniture paste wax (Johnson, Minwax, etc).

That said, sanding beyond 220 grit is not necessary. Sand and then apply the Watco following the directions on the can. Next day, do it again. Let it dry for 2 days and then apply the wax using 4/0 steel wool or a grey scotchbrite pad. Periodically, you will have to re-apply the wax.

A final note. Red Oak is a deep pored wood. When you apply an oil like Watco you are going to have bleed back where the oil keeps seeping out of the pores for a number of hours. On the first coat, you will have to go back and wipe it down ever 30 minutes or so until it stops.
    Howie.........