Thread: New Feature (Similar Threads)

Thumbs up New Feature (Similar Threads)

Hello all!

I just wanted to introduce a new feature here at SawmillCreek, "Similar Threads."
    At the bottom of each thread, you will see a box containing threads similar to
    the one you're currently viewing. These are automatic searches based upon the
    frequency of the words that appear in each thread.

I have found it to be quite useful already. Ultimately, it will keep older threads from
    being 'lost in the mix', while allowing you to stumble across previously posted
    information without having to search for it.

Check it out, and enjoy!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Aaron,
    Great idea!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Aaron, you RULE, man! That's a super-usefull feature, which can actually be used. Ever think of going to work for Microsoft?! Thanks much!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Yea, I noticed that earlier today...VERY nice feature, Aaron!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have already used this feature and I like it.

I am glad that you let us know that you added this Aaron. When I saw it earlier today, I thought that the feature had always been present and that I had just missed it. It is a relief to know that I was not blind to it in the past.

As for John's suggstion that you think about working for Microsoft. I suggest that you stay here instead (and this advice comes from me a proud ex-Microsoft employee).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    As for John's suggstion that you think about working for Microsoft. I suggest that you stay here instead (and this advice comes from me a proud ex-Microsoft employee).
    Hey Frank, that comment was meant soley as a compliment. I don't want...I repeat, do NOT wish Aaron to leave the Administrative offices of the Creek! His expertise keeps this place rockin' and I wouldn't want to see that change!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Aaron,
    As an added 'tracking feature,' could the origination date of a thread be added - maybe adjacent the originator's name in the Thread subject box? I think a lot of us might fint it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hey Frank, that comment was meant soley as a compliment. I don't want...I repeat, do NOT wish Aaron to leave the Administrative offices of the Creek! His expertise keeps this place rockin' and I wouldn't want to see that change!
    Yes, I know that it was a compliment John -and my reply was meant as a compiment as well.

Jim,

I added the thread origination date for a couple of hours per your original request, but I just couldn't find a good spot for it that looked good.

However, there are some logistical considerations--we would like our threads to be 'stateless', so that old threads are never truly lost. Seeing a 3 month old thread origination date might prevent some from posting to a thread.

Of course, you can always open up the thread and look at the date/time on the first post to see when it originated. I will consider adding it to the search results. However, adding the dateline to the forum display page is a bit more difficult due to the query optimizations in place in the code.

---------------
    Frank,

The english language is a bit ambiguous.. Are you proud to have worked for MS, or are you proud to be ex-MS?
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Jim,

I added the thread origination date for a couple of hours per your original request, but I just couldn't find a good spot for it that looked good.

However, there are some logistical considerations--we would like our threads to be 'stateless', so that old threads are never truly lost. Seeing a 3 month old thread origination date might prevent some from posting to a thread.

Of course, you can always open up the thread and look at the date/time on the first post to see when it originated. I will consider adding it to the search results. However, adding the dateline to the forum display page is a bit more difficult due to the query optimizations in place in the code.

---------------
    Frank,

The english language is a bit ambiguous.. Are you proud to have worked for MS, or are you proud to be ex-MS?
    I am proud to have worked for Microsoft. I also worked for IBM and am proud of that too. They were both good companies to work for and I believe that they both do a lot of good in unifying people throughout the world.

In fact, I am officially retired from both companies. I retired from IBM 8 years ago and joined Microsoft the next day. I retired from Microsoft a little over a year ago.

Good Job

Aaron -

Great idea! Thanks for taking the time to implement it.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Jim,

...I will consider adding it to the search results. However, adding the dateline to the forum display page is a bit more difficult due to the query optimizations in place in the code.

Aaron,
    If by 'search results,' you mean the topics that appear when I click on the 'New Posts' selection, then that's what I was asking for.

I can see where it might inhibit some folks from adding a post, but can't imagine it being a big problem. My only objective was/is to be able to differentiate older threads from newer ones

Thanks.