Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32bit vs 64 bit operating systems

32bit vs 64 bit operating systems

I just got a new computer and it runs vista. The problem is that the driver, a 64 bit driver, does not recognize my previously saved .DAT files.

Does anyone know if there is a way to convert the files, or do I have to rebuild my old PC to see the files, open them, and paper copy the settings?

This came up due the the person wanting to mark the blue painters tape. I have some previous settings which was going to share but can not access them...

Any thoughts would be welcome. Peck, your thoughts would be especially useful.

Thanks.
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Jim:
    On this page is a link to the beta version of the driver for 64bit systems and info about same. http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads_minihelix.htm However, are you sure your running a 64bit system? Just because the OS is Vista doesn't mean it's 64bit. To check, click on Start..then Right click on Computer/Properties.
    Their is also a link on this page that gets you a program to convert your old .DAT files to the lastest driver..8.0. Hope this helps.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Thanks for the response Larry. Yes I am sure it is 64 bit. The regular driver did not run my system when I bought the new computer last month. Epilog got me set up and fixed with the 64 bit beta driver.

I'll check out and see about the conversion you're talking about.

Thanks again...
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Well unfortunately the conversion program must be for conversion of old 32 bit DAT files to the new version8x because the conversion didn't work for me in converting them to 64 bit. I'll have to go to plan B unless Peck has another idea...
    Last edited by Jim Watkins; 06-29-2008 at 11:45 PM.
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I'm having a difficult time understanding why anyone other than people running network servers and the like would use a 64-bit OS... you severely limit yourself to software choices, and the performance benefit is minimal using 32-bit software on such a machine.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watkins View Post
    Well unfortunately the conversion program must be for conversion of old 32 bit DAT files to the new version8x because the conversion didn't work for me in converting them to 64 bit. I'll have to go to plan B unless Peck has another idea...
    Jim:
    Well I reckon in that case, your probably going to have to enter them and resave via the 64bit driver. I'm not familiar with 64 bit systems, other than knowing that the software that's out there is pretty limited. Good luck!
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

32bit vs. 64bit

Jim,

I'll check with our software group this afternoon but my bet is that what you're thinking is correct. 64bit driver uses different coding for the data files than the 32bit driver. Using the new conversion program only allows older 32bit data files to be converted to the new 32bit data files.

I'll see what options we have. Be back shortly.
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Thanks for all your thoughts guys.

Peck, I'll look forward to what you find out. PS, can you find out when the 64bit system will have a non-beta driver, I like the looks of the new one for the 32 bit systems...

Mike, thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I get home tonight and get the system turned on.

Dan, it's not an OS I chose, it just came with the new computer I bought. I didn't want Vista to begin with, but that was what was available to me at the time. I don't know 32 bit from 64 bit from 2 bits, but since that is what I have, and it was purchased for business only, I have no choice but to make it work. Besides it seems to run my applications with no issues to date (MS Office, Corel X4, Quickbooks 2008 Pro, and more) plus it does interface with my laser.

If the link Mike provided doesn't work, Larry is correct and I will have to reopen all DAT files in my old PC and copy them down and make new ones for the new PC.

I'll keep you guys in the loop as others will likely have the same issues soon enough.
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

32bit vs. 64bit

Jim,

No good news here. I have confirmed, the difference between a 32bit data file and a 64bit data file is night and day. Different structure, different requirements and different data string.

Due to the significant differences, I don't forsee a conversion program for these data files to go from 32bit to 64bit.

The 64bit driver is available for test and for those who must run the 64bit OS. Until 64bit OS's start to become the norm and gain popularity, I don't foresee us releasing a full production version that ships with new equipment.

On a personal note Jim, if you purchased the 64bit PC because it was the only one available, I'd recommend returning it. If you don't have a use for the 64bit OS then there's no reason to purchase it. I still beleive most programs, devices and drivers aren't available for the 64bit OS.

Perhaps other members (those more knowledgeable or have followed the 64bit development into the market) can chime in with their opinion.

Your only option at this time is to save the data files on a jump drive, load them up on a 32bit OS, load the Epilog driver, pull em up and write them down.

If getting the data files back require you to rebuild another PC or purchase a new one. Send the data files to me and I'll do the grunt work.
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Blog Entries
    For the trouble you're about to endure converting all of those files (and will continue to endure with other software), I would think a switch to 32-bit is WELL worth the price of admission. In fact, your license code may be acceptable to a 32-bit install disc (purchased on eBay or the like), as long as you're not trying to run both at the same time.

Something to consider...

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I'm having a difficult time understanding why anyone other than people running network servers and the like would use a 64-bit OS... you severely limit yourself to software choices, and the performance benefit is minimal using 32-bit software on such a machine.
    I run XP64 on my PC's. So far I am not limited on the software I run. The major software that I run comes in a 64bit version. This is very initialize when you have 2 quad core processors and 8 gigs of RAM. XP32 would not recognize all the RAM but XP64 will .

There is more use for 64bit OS's than servers. Many of the high end CAD software comes in native 64bit versions.

Wil
    Epilog EXT36 60w, Corel 12, Adobe CS3, ArtCAM Pro 2010, Techno LC4896

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Lambert View Post
    I run XP64 on my PC's. So far I am not limited on the software I run. The major software that I run comes in a 64bit version. This is very initialize when you have 2 quad core processors and 8 gigs of RAM. XP32 would not recognize all the RAM but XP64 will .

There is more use for 64bit OS's than servers. Many of the high end CAD software comes in native 64bit versions.

Wil
    Wil, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't a market for 64-bit OSs, but that market is definitely not your standard user, and I don't believe it's your small business owner, either. As you said, high-end CAD packages are available in 64-bit versions... "high-end" being the key word. A small business owner (as the majority of us would be considered, I imagine) would be okay with a $500 CAD package, but balk quite a bit at spending $5k. I also imagine the majority of us are using PhotoShop (or equivalent) for our work, but we're typically not using PS's functionality that would show the major speed improvements available with a 64-bit OS... we're not airbrushing 500MB images for magazines, we're working on 5MB images for burning into Corian. The actual laser control driver sees zero advantage from a 64-bit OS. Too much hardware does not have a 64-bit driver... a number of video cards, printers, scanners, etc... you have to be more choosy in your hardware selection to make sure it works with your OS as plug-n-play isn't always so friendly anymore.

In five years, things may have changed in the marketplace and 64-bit OSs are more of the norm (though I doubt it... the next Windows version (Vista part deux?) will still be 32-bit for most machines (with a 64-bit version available, like usual, for the power users)). I liken it to choosing Beta versus VHS in the early days (or HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray of this past year)... stand back and wait until support is there before moving to a format.

14. Dan,

I have to agree that most users will see no benefit from 64bit. This may change in the future but not right now.

I am happy that we are moving back to 64bit. I remember the DEC Alpha chips back in the 90's that were 64bit. What a difference for the time. The benefit running Pro-E back then was amazing. The after DEC died off so did the 64bit systems until the last few years. For some of us it was a needed change.

Wil
    Epilog EXT36 60w, Corel 12, Adobe CS3, ArtCAM Pro 2010, Techno LC4896

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

The day my father brought home a DEC Alpha workstation was a day of pure joy for me When he rattled off the specs on the processor, I was giddy. Truth be told, however, I didn't use it nearly as much as the DEC Rainbow that came before it.