Thread: Portland Oregon

Portland Oregon

Anything I should see there? Im going for the 4th of July. I know theres that giant bookstore. I also have timed it to go for a 4 day blues festival along the river there.

Gilmer Wood http://www.gilmerwood.com/

Largest collection of exotic hardwoods that I've every seen under one roof. Be ready to be amazed at the different woods.

Doug

VooDoo Donuts, downtown, not far from Powell Books.

If someone with you quilts or sews, go to Fabric Depot, my wife will go down there just for that. I do stained glass and always stop at Cline Glass on Stark St.

I second Gilmer and also add Woodcraft on SW Main, always seems better than the one in Seattle.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    I can't recall the expact location, a public square where people's names are in the bricks on the ground. You stand in a specific spot and talk; the partial wall around you is designed to bounce your voice back at you and makes it sound amplified, but only to you. Quite an odd sensation. Near the university(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones from Oregon View Post
    Gilmer Wood http://www.gilmerwood.com/

Largest collection of exotic hardwoods that I've every seen under one roof. Be ready to be amazed at the different woods.

Doug
    I live in Nehalem just south of Cannon Beach. I have lived in Oregon all of my 58 years and did not know of this company. Thanks! I now have a new place to send my pension!

Things to do in Portland

Craig.....There is The Tool Peddler on 82nd and Crosscut Hardwoods on Front ave. As mentioned, it is worth the trip to Gilmer's. There is another stained glass place closer to downtown on the east side of the river. The address is probably in the phone book. There is Rockler in Beaverton. Enjoy your trip.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Not woodworking related, but the Rose Garden is beautiful this time of year.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Rod, sorry to say, Tool Peddler has retired and closed the shop. Had big sales for several weeks but is all done now.

Also not woodworking related, but the Japanese garden is always a top priority for LOML and me when we go to Portland. It's very close to the rose garden. Want to go tp Gilmer, but have never been.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Portland

Oh no, The Tool Peddler has closed shop. Guess I don't get to Portland as often as I should. I could have spent some serious money there during the sale. That was always a place to stop whether I needed anything or not.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA