Thread: My 1st Hollow Form Please Critique

My 1st Hollow Form Please Critique

Hi
    I'm fairly new here & have not had a lot of time to turn but I did finish my 1st HF. It's Pecan with acrylic & poly finish.
    Please Critique it as I am new to this & would like any advice that will make me better. Please note I'm not very good at photography & do have a few light glares in each photo
    Thank Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe - first off it looks very nice but I would like some dimensions as far as height, width, thickness, size of foot, size of opening as it gives everyone a better perspective and idea of what you have turned.

Critique:

Now that you gave the dimensions I have a better feel for the piece. First thing I want to say is that you did some really nice work on this one! I don't see any tearout, flat spots, ridges or anything that would subtract from the form you created. Finish looks great also and really brings out the color and grain of the wood. So, as far as finishing - you seem to have that well under control. As far as form - that is a very subjective area and really is determined more by the taste of the turner than any hard and set rules.

Mike brings up a couple of points that are worth consideration - a smaller opening and a gentler curve from the opening to the shoulder area. As it stands - the abrupt change in direction of the curve (when going from the shoulder area to the opening) doesn't fit the rest of the form. This is just my observation and doesn't carry any more weight than anyone elses - but I would like you to think about it and play with the idea of different curves that take you from the shoulder to the opening. A great example is Mike Fuson's latest HF - totally different form than yours but look at the opening and notice how slight variations make the form work.

Again - very nice work - especially for your first! Have fun with it and remember - we are all learning here - so if you have questions - ask!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 06-30-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Add Critique
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good looking HF. Agree with Steve we need some deminsions to have a idea of what we are looking at.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

very nice shape!

The grain pattern looks like you turned a log chunk. Watch the pith area for cracking if that is so. I agree with the others about the dimensions, I looks to be appx 4" by 12" (?).
    Bob

Joe, it looks much better than my first. The only critique I would have is that a graceful curve under the shoulder would have looked better, and perhaps a smaller opening? Still its a nice piece the way it is.
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

Smile HF Details

The form is 5 7/8" tall X 3 5/8" dia at largest dia. The opening is 1 3/4" dia & the bottom is only 1 5/8" dia. top collar is 1/8" tall. Wall thickness is very even at 3/16" with bottom about only 3/8" thick.
    The pith is centered on the bottom. It doesn't show it that well in the pic but it does have a High Gloss finish.
    Thanks everyone for looking. Joe

I love it.....your are going to be real good at HF's before you know it

Laurie

Smile Thanks Steve

Steve & others.
    Thanks for your Critiqes.
    I hope to be turning many more HF in the future ( as time allows) & I'm sure that I'll be trying many varations as I go.
    I'll try to post more as I turn them but it will probably be quite a while as my schedule is pretty full the rest of the summer.