Thread: Pressure-Treated Lumber

Pressure-Treated Lumber

I have a customer that asked me about engraving wooden signs that will be outside/exposed to the elements all year round.

Not knowing much about this, I asked my supervisor in our wood shop, and he mentioned that "pressure-treated" wood would probably work, but we don't know how well it would engrave (because of chemicals, etc.).

Has anyone had experience with this? This particular customer is pretty important so we want to get it right. Thanks

I don't know how well it engraves. But my thought is that the 'treatment' doesn't penetrate all the way through the wood it's only good for a depth of a 1/4" or so then your back to untreated wood.

I would try that "TRAX DECK" stuff and see how that works. Possibly color fill also.
    Last edited by Angus Hines; 06-30-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: addtional info

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

If it is a bad to burn pressure treated wood due to toxic fumes (CCA or arsenic) then it must also be bad to laser engrave it. Even CNC routing will release fine particulates into the air. I do not recommend it.

Also, many synthetic lumbers such as Trex Deck is composed of recycled plastics from land fills among other things. I'd bet there's PVC in there which we all know is a bad thing to laser.
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 06-30-2008 at 10:43 AM.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Janet,

Look into IPE wood, aka Brazilian Iron Wood. This wood lasts longer than any other, sealed or unsealed and lasers beautifully and deeply. This is the same wood used by the navy for all their wood docks. It can also be found on the famous pier 9 in San Fransisco. One word of caution though, seal the wood only with approved sealers for that wood. Most sealers will peel right off or flake. Your local distributer will be able to direct to the correct sealer for this wood.
    Jack

Good point Doug didn't even think about what plastic they stick in that Trex stuff.

As for pressure treated I burn it all the time outside keeps the mosquitoes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    If it is a bad to burn pressure treated wood due to toxic fumes (CCA or arsenic) then it must also be bad to laser engrave it. Even CNC routing will release fine particulates into the air. I do not recommend it.

Also, many synthetic lumbers such as Trex Deck is composed of recycled plastics from land fills among other things. I'd bet there's PVC in there which we all know is a bad thing to laser.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Cedar and redwood work just fine and are easy to engrave.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Also, if your going to paint it, the composite Extira would work. However, most of it I use is CNC routed.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Thank you everyone for your input - seemings how I don't know much about this stuff.

I'll run your suggestions by our wood shop supervisor

thanks again