Thread: Advice on making Walnut Blank

Advice on making Walnut Blank

Hello to all,

A friend gave me two really cool pieces of walnut, that I need to make into blanks soon. This one is already starting to check, so I want to jump on it, but am not sure how to proceed to make the best use of this amazing piece of wood.

Here are three photos. I neglected to put a ruler in the picture, but the log is about 12" tall, about 10" across, and runs about 12" deep from the face of the log to the back of the burr.

The burr has this cool vortex-like thing, and I'd love to get a blank that has the entire length of the burr, but i'm not sure how to mount it. I have a 3 & a 6" faceplate, and was thinking I could just cut the blank out with the bandsaw centering on the burr, but there is a big check on the left of the log that you can see in the first picture.

How would you all cut up this log to make a blank?

Would love to get some creative ideas.

Thanks you all.

Stephen

Truth be told....

Cool piece of wood! I actually prefer chunks with odd and challenging characteristics. Not only do they test a person's skill and creativity, but the end products are often the best I have produced. On this one I might just make bowl blank with standard orientation. I would purposely try to have the voids mostly, but not quite, symmetrical on both endgrain sections. I have found that purposely making natural features/defects stand out improves a piece, especially if incorporated in an a-symmetrical fashion.

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 07-01-2008 at 7:54 PM.

I had a sassafras log that had the center rotted out like that. I cut pieces on a radius making in my case three pieces. I used a Forstner bit to remove the center of the bark side and trimmed off the worst of the center with the bandsaw. Then I put it between centers to make the tenon for a natural edge bowl.

The other possibility is to cut it into pieces for hollow forms. Or a combination of both.

It appears that the part that you identify as a burl is really where a branch rotted and then the tree grew over the spot. In my experience it will be a disappointment.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

What a challenge!

Maybe we are all as stumped as you. I read your thread yesterday and hoped when I came back to it today that I would read all kinds of posibilities for the piece. Alas, not to be. I have several chunks of wood like that and no imagination when it comes to what to do with them.
    Bob

Thanks for the comments

Thank you all for your comments.

I"ve got another even more bizarre piece of walnut that I will post later today to see if anyone has any ideas. I need to take a creativity class I guess!

Or better yet, just do more practice. I've been having a tough time with this walnut... I don't think it likes me very much.

Well, thanks again.

Stephen

Here's a funky bowl....

Here's an example of the type of thing I am talking about. Of course, this bowl is pushing the limits, but I think I will still be able to get finished piece out of it (fingers crossed). Personally, I am really intrigued by the crazy look of this piece. Next to my other "defect free" forms this box elder bowl really stands out. If you are able to make something along these lines with the chunks you have, I bet they would be the pieces people are most drawn to. Can't wait to see what you rough out!

Hutch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! That is gorgeous Matt!

I love the look of that wood. I'll let you know what I come up with!

Thanks.

stephen