Thread: Cracks in thin cedar planking -- what to do?

Cracks in thin cedar planking -- what to do?

I have 6 planks of white cedar that I resawed a few days ago and stickered, and planed down today to approach final width. I planed them to ~0.2", and the final destination is 5/32" (0.156"). In any case, some of these planks have some longitudinal cracks. The question is this: are these to be expected with material this thin and light, or should I go buy some ash for the planks?

-b
    Attached Images Attached Images

Repairing stock defects using epoxy is fine at this stage of construction.

But in a boat I can't imagine cedar planks thinner than a 1/4-5/16", let alone a 5/32" cedar plank. What for and why? You aren't transposing basswood guideboat plank scantlings to cedar, are you?
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser View Post
    But in a boat I can't imagine cedar planks thinner than a 1/4-5/16", let alone a 5/32" cedar plank. What for and why? You aren't transposing basswood guideboat plank scantlings to cedar, are you?
    This is for a cradle boat, not the real thing. At this point, I was planning to just buy some ash in the morning and use that. Definitely preferable to epoxy...

-b

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fleis View Post
    This is for a cradle boat, not the real thing. At this point, I was planning to just buy some ash in the morning and use that. Definitely preferable to epoxy...

-b
    As they aren't structural wood putty will work fine providing the cracks aren't so bad that the planks come apart. You may have the same problem with ash. A wood with interlocked grain like Tulip or an elm would be perfect. H. Mahog also performs well in thin scantlings.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff