Thread: Another stupid phishing e-mail

Another stupid phishing e-mail

It's hard to imagine anyone responding to something like this one that I got this morning:

ATTN:
    I CRAVE YOUR INDULGENCE FOR SUPPLY OF MATERIALS WHICH YOU SHALL BE PAID A GENENROUS MANAGEMENT FEE.
    THIS DEAL REQUIRES ABSOLUTE SERIOUSENESS THEREBY WE HAVE MAPPED OUT FUNDS FOR THE FIVE YEARS CONTRACT.
    I NEED YOUR RESPONSE REGARDING THIS DEVELOPMENT.
    KIND REGARDS,
    FRANK MOORE
    OPEC/UNDP EXECUTIVE
    CONTACT VIA OFFICIAL EMAIL

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post

ATTN:
    I CRAVE YOUR INDULGENCE FOR SUPPLY OF MATERIALS WHICH YOU SHALL BE PAID A GENENROUS MANAGEMENT FEE.
    THIS DEAL REQUIRES ABSOLUTE SERIOUSENESS THEREBY WE HAVE MAPPED OUT FUNDS FOR THE FIVE YEARS CONTRACT.
    I NEED YOUR RESPONSE REGARDING THIS DEVELOPMENT.
    KIND REGARDS,
    FRANK MOORE
    OPEC/UNDP EXECUTIVE
    CONTACT VIA OFFICIAL EMAIL
    FOR WHAT ARE YOU FINDING STRANGE CONCERNING THE EMAIL ABOVE? I AM FINDING IT MOST ENJOYABLE AND WOULD BE MOST QUICKLY RESPONDING FORTHWITH.

YOUR MOST ABSOLUTE FRIEND,
    GENERAL DR. GUBE NKUMBE
    MINISTER OF DEFENSE OF NIGERIA
    Regards,
    Dick

The sad part is though.....somewhere along the lines people are falling for this or it wouldn't be such a trend. Now that's sad!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The phisher is obviously just a beginner in the world of scamming. Don't worry his technique and the sophistication level of his appeal will increase with time.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

A phishing attack just went out at my college. It quite convincingly appeared to be from our IT department. It directed people to a sign-on screen which looked just like one of our systems, but it had nothing to do with us.

Quite a few people fell for it.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Here is one I received. This one is different than most of the ones I receive.

-----------------------------------------------

GOOD DAY,

HOW ARE YOU DOING ? HOPE FINE.

MY NAME IS REV.ROBERT SMITH, I AND MY WIFE AND 3 KIDS ARE ON A CHRISTIAN
    MISSION TO AFRICA AND I CAME ALONG WITH MY 2 TEACUP YORKSHIRE TERRIER
    BABIES. (BOTH ARE 14 WEEKS OLD)

AFTER A WHILE I NOTICE THAT THE AFRICAN WEATHER IS NOT GOOD FOR THERE
    HEALTH AND I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO TAKE GOOD CARE OF THEM THE WAY I
    ALWAYS DO, BECAUSE OF MY JOB. THEY ARE AKC REGISTERD. - TEACUP. HOME
    RAISED,VACINES & HEALTH GUARANTEE.

I NEED SOMEONE TO ADOPT BOTH AND TAKE CARE OF THEM THE WAY I ALWAYS DO. IF YOU
    CAN TAKE GOOD CARE OF THEM, DO SEND A REPLY AND WILL EMAIL YOU WITH MORE INFO.

P/S: PROVIDE A CONTACT PHONE NUMBER FOR FURTHER COMMUNICATION.

HOPE TO READ FROM YOU.
    REGARDS,

REV. ROBERT SMITH
    MOTTO: IN GOD WE TRUST.

The phishers are easy to spot. What I hate are the ones that mimic real websites and then send you to malicious links when you click. Sometimes it's hard to tell, unless you check the URL closely.

Joe -- That guy is missing his calling!

He would be great at writing the instruction manuals for a few of my recent tool purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz View Post
    The phishers are easy to spot. What I hate are the ones that mimic real websites and then send you to malicious links when you click. Sometimes it's hard to tell, unless you check the URL closely.
    Why would you even click if it's not something you were expecting to receive? Virtually every financial institution will tell you in their various resources, including privacy notices, that they will not send you requests via email for account information, etc. So does PayPal. (Please note that this is a rhetorical question/statement and not specifically directed to "you"...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's another one. A bit more creative, at least. Note that the federal high court of nigeria uses the free gmail!

ATTENTION: BENEFICIARY,

THIS IS TO NOTIFY YOU THAT YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS IS BEEN FOUND AMONG THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN SCAMMED FROM ATM CARD/WESTERN UNION AND YOU HAVE BEEN COMPENSATED WITH THE SUM OF $3,5M. WE ALSO WISH TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR COMPENSATION HAS BEEN DULLY APPROVED BY THE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE AND FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE RESPECTIVELY.

ALSO, WE HAVE BEEN INSTRUCTED BY THE NIGERIA PRESIDENT, UMARU MUSA YA`RADUA TO PAY ALL THE AFFECTED VICTIMS UNCONDITIONALLY. YOU ARE THEREFORE REQUIRED TO CONTACT THE LAWYER IN CHARGE OF YOUR FUNDS FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THE TRANSFER OF YOUR $3.5M COMPENSATION. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE TRANSFER OF YOUR FUNDS AS SOME OF OUR CONTRACTORS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT SCAM FROM NIGERIA AND WE ARE TRYING TO STOP THE FRAUDULENT ACT WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY.

WE HOWEVER ASSURE YOU THAT IT WILL STOP BECAUSE WE ARE NOW WORKING WITH THE INTERNET OPERATION SUCH AS YAHOO MAIL, HOT MAIL AND ALSO THE UNITED STATE FBI, THE NIGERIA POLICE AND THE NIGERIA EFCC SO THAT SCAM CAN BE ERADICATED IN NIGERIA AND THE WORLD IN GENERAL. PLEASE DO FOLLOW YOUR FUNDS RELEASE CODE, NG74678FHC WHICH IS APPORTIONED TO YOU BY THE FEDERAL HIGH COURT OF NIGERIA.

PLEASE BE SURE TO CONTACT BARRISTER AKPAN IME PETER WITH YOUR FULL CONTACT INFORMATION AT THE FOLLOWING; NAME BARRISTER AKPAN IME PETER Email: info.fedralhighcourtnigeria@gmail.com

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE THAT YOUR FUNDS HAVE BEEN FULLY INSURED WITH THE NIGERIAN DEPOSIT AND INSURANCE CORPORATION AND BENEFICIARY WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE AFFIDAVIT OF OATH FEES OF $480.00.

YOUR MAXIMUM COOPERATION WILL CERTAINLY HELP MATTERS.

THANKS.
    MR KENNETH MORGAN
    FOR: FEDERAL HCN

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green