Thread: gun shop wants engraving

gun shop wants engraving

Can you laser a blued gun barrel?
    I have a gun shop owner that asked me what types of gun I could engrave.
    SS came to mind, But I did know about the rest.
    Any hints?

Thanks

Dull Blue

I have never had great results laser engraving with a CO2 laser on blued steel. It comes out rather dull, without a whole lot of contrast. I have seen YAG markers do a pretty good job on blued steel.

Now, on the SS, you should get great results.

You also can mention how nice the engraving comes out on wood stocks, forearms, grips.

Good luck.

This is a good time to make sure you have business insurance, that will cover damage to an expensive gun should something go wrong while in the laser!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Paul,
    Funny you should post this today... I just finished up lasering 4 Glocks for a customer last Friday. They are all blued finish. I told him I wasn't sure how lasering them would turn out but if he was willing to let me experiment on the inside of one of them I would be happy to try it. He gave me the slide from one to test. I cleaned the upper inside of it with alcohol, as I always do for Cermark - the inside opposite side from the front sight. I applied Cermark and lasered as I normally would steel - 100% power and 10% speed. Before I moved it I lasered another spot at 100% power and 5% speed. I wiped off the Cermark and was very surprised that there was a very good mark on the surface. None of the Cermark stuck, but I'm not too surprised at that. I lasered it again without Cermark and at 10% speed and the result was the same. I showed it to the customer and he was very happy with it and gave me the go ahead to do all 4 of them on the outside of the slide. I lasered his logo and 4 different names and they all turned out fantastic. He could not have been happier with the results.

I did have him sign a waiver of liability - I made it very clear that I had no idea how long the mark would last, what would happen to the metal where I marked and what might happen if they needed to be reblued. He was aware that the mark he sees today may rust, fade, etc. I asked him to let me know how they hold up.

Get a waiver signed but don't be afraid of this project. Make sure you can test on the inside area somewhere inconspicuous and that the customer is happy with the results.

Go for it!

Gary

Actually the guy brought me an old gun he keeps around his house for me to "play" with. Barrel is blued, just thought I would ask here first.
    I do have bus. ins. and the mall is letting him open the gun shop here, so I hope HE has better ins.
    I never realy thought about other parts of the gun. Are Ivory handles really ivory? How do they laser?

Not afraid of the project, and not afraid to ask others to help shorten the learning curve either.

thanks for the input.

Make sure it's not loaded, I find those bullets really sting!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

That's OK, I have a CCW permit.

Seems I remember that much of Glocks are not metal but some kind of poly something or other, is that right.

The slide is metal. The grips are molded into the frame and they are indeed a type of plastic.

Glocks aren't blued which is likely what you were thinking. The finish is tennifer which is a very hard, scratch resistant coating. You should get similar results to anodized aluminum.

Blued steel should do ok but the bluing is a chemical reaction similar to rusting and isn't a true coating so the mark is likely to be much less detailed and may look washed out.

I engrave all my magazines to keep them from walking off at range sessions and they work pretty well.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Not a big Glock fan!! Just found they sometimes have a problem when you load heavy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Glocks aren't blued which is likely what you were thinking. The finish is tennifer which is a very hard, scratch resistant coating. You should get similar results to anodized aluminum.
    The black on a Glock slide is phosphate (similar to parkerizing), so I expect it would engrave quite nicely*. The tennifer is a colorless chemical treatment under that on the bare metal: you can bead-blast the black completely off a Glock slide without harming the tennifer coating.

(*The odd thing is, I've had the laser for 3+ years and the oldest Glock a lot longer than that: you'd think it would have occurred to me to try engraving one of them, but it never has before now...go figure. )
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 07-06-2008 at 11:53 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee

Show us the results of your new "discovery".
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Lee

Show us the results of your new "discovery".
    I've got that one filed under "something to try as soon as the UPS guy shows up with my Round Tuit"...maybe later this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz
    I engrave all my magazines to keep them from walking off at range sessions and they work pretty well.
    Something else to try. Dunno how well the Glock polymer will work, but I've got a couple of POS 10-rounders to experiment with. I've also got some mag extensions installed that are machined delrin: according to the ULS book, that should work fine.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 07-07-2008 at 9:44 AM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.