Thread: Adjustable Kitchen Cabinet Legs

Adjustable Kitchen Cabinet Legs

I did search and only came up with a few things......

What are people's opinions of Adjustable Kitchen Cabinet Legs? How many should I use per cabinet? Any issues with installing a kitchen island with them? How would I secure the island to the floor? Any particular brand better than the other?

Thanks!

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home
    I used them a few years ago on my kitchen cabinets and used 4 per cabinet. I used the ones Rockler had at the time. I don't know how you could secure a freestanding island using them.

Blum and don't regret it

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Mitchell View Post
    I did search and only came up with a few things......

What are people's opinions of Adjustable Kitchen Cabinet Legs? How many should I use per cabinet? Any issues with installing a kitchen island with them? How would I secure the island to the floor? Any particular brand better than the other?

Thanks!
    I just ordered 70 Blum kitchen cabinet legs from Woodworkers Hardware. The thing that sealed the deal for me was the ability to adjust the length using an allen key from inside of the cabinet. I know I won't need that function much, but a few extra bucks will make my install much easier.

I also like the "wing" that they have on them, which can come close to supporting/bearing some of the weight from the side panels.

I believe 4 legs have a weight limit of 850 lbs, so 4 legs for most cabinets. For cabs 36 inches or so and larger, I will use 6 legs, largely becuase it is cheap insurance against sags.

the to clips also ahve a nice set up. Blum sells a mechanism that will fit right into a kerf cut, so no need to screw in a plate for the toe kick.

I've installed cabinets that had leg levelers pre-installed by the manufacturer. They are an absolute joy to work with.

The only disadvantage is that you need a toe kick to cover them up. The cabinet brands that I've installed had a neat clip to hold the toekick in place. But, if you like the side of the cabinet to go all the way to the floor without a side toekick, the manufacturer must either provides a side end panel, or you will have to go with a side toe kick.

-Jeff

Doing a toe kick is not problem. Any suggestions on how to secure a island?

"...Any suggestions on how to secure a island?..."

6" long screws. Once the island is positioned and leveled. Also, the metal legs are much "better" than the plastic ones. And FWIW, on runs of base cabinets on walls I always use a ledger on the wall. I use a 2x4 attached so that the cabinet deck sits on the ledger. The ledger is leveled and the legs are only used on the front. This makes it very easy to install and level the bases.
    David DeCristoforo

I just used these from Rockler on some oak bookcases. Very solid.
    Also, I slipped a 3/8 X 1/2 poly insert fitting ($.50 in plumbing dept, BORG) over each stud to guide the allen wrench right into the socket. Trim to fit.

Lipped mounting bracket works to lift and creates greater stability. Each leveler has load-bearing capacity of 600 pounds. Adjust to within 2-1/4'' . Minimum installation height is 3". Requires 5mm hex wrench to adjust.
    Sold in sets of 4 $17.99

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    I just used these from Rockler on some oak bookcases. Very solid.
    Also, I slipped a 3/8 X 1/2 poly insert fitting ($.50 in plumbing dept, BORG) over each stud to guide the allen wrench right into the socket. Trim to fit.
    Aww man, I wish I had read this before I made my outfeed table. I have 8 of those levelers on my cabinets and that was the biggest pain . . . getting the allen wrench down on to the socket. That's a great idea!

-Brian

Like David says...

Two in front, ledge in back = happy days installing.

I have done cabs with several methods and while I still like the individual sub base for new construction for any questionably level floor the levelers are hard to beat.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D Anderson View Post
    Aww man, I wish I had read this before I made my outfeed table. I have 8 of those levelers on my cabinets and that was the biggest pain . . . getting the allen wrench down on to the socket. That's a great idea!

-Brian
    While we're on the subject: Here's another.
    To line up the holes, take a long 3/8 bolt, dab a little colored wax or a piece of carbon paper to the end of bolt, screw up to the base to smear the wax or carbon. Drill the hole (Use a backer on the other side). Then run the bolt up thru the hole, mount the leveler, take out the bolt. Run the stud up and slip on the insert fitting as you go. I use a socket on a cordless to speed things along.
    Have fun,
    Joe