Thread: Butcher Block Countertops

Blog Entries

Butcher Block Countertops

We are building a new house and for an island that will be approximately 4'x4' I would liek to build a butcher block countertop. We envision the island to be a painted cabinet. The surrounding counters will be granite with a shaker style cherry cabinet.

Right now open to all suggestions. Was thinking maple with end grain up(1 3/4" x 1 3/4") interspersed with some other exotic wood, such as wenge or purple heart are similar.

Thanks in advance,

Tim in Houston.

Tim

you might find this article of some help.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/2/

Tim,

I saw a Woodworks (David Marks) where he did a maple, purpleheart, and walnut make up a butcher-block like surface. However, it wasn't end-grain.

http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks/506.asp
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

You mean like this? (http://sawsndust.com/p-kitchen-island.htm)

This also served as the prototype for the rest of the cabinetry in our kitchen renovation I did in 2003.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Tim,

I saw a Woodworks (David Marks) where he did a maple, purpleheart, and walnut make up a butcher-block like surface. However, it wasn't end-grain.
    I've seen that episode about four times: some of the pieces don't look like it in the pictures, but yeah, it was end-grain. He even had a bit early in the show explaining why he was doing it that way.

That's very nice, Jim. How has the top worked out after five years? Is that just a decorative banding near the top's edge, or is there also a trough to catch liquid?

Cary

That's just a decorative strip, Cary. There is no cutting allowed on that island. A separate maple cutting board is used for that. It sits on the left side of the island most of the time, but is sized and shaped to fit onto the farm sink for times when working veggies with water at hand is preferred. That cutting board is made out of the original one that the previous owner has embedded in the lovely orange laminate counter top they chose when they built their "dream kitchen"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A butcher block or 'end-grain' counter is going to be much more work in that size. And there's really no reason to do it end-grain unless you just happen to like the way it looks. Butcher blocks are made that way for chopping, your probably not going to be doing too much chopping on your kitchen counters. I'd also be worried a top that size at say 1-1/4" thickness would be more vulnerable to cracking than a top glued flat grain. But if you want the look, I'd find a shop with a widebelt near you first, b/c your not going to want to try to get a top that size flat by working it with smaller tools.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Let me suggest that if you want a cutting board top that you buy one. You will find that you can buy one ready made for less than you can buy the wood to make on yourself. Buying one ready made will insure that it is glued correctly using hydraulic clamps that can exert the necessary pressure.
    Howie.........