Thread: Mesquite Wine Rack

Mesquite Wine Rack

Just finished this sideboard type table that was designed to hold at least 4 cases of wine. This is probably my last mesquite project for a while since we are moving to Portland in a week. Bye bye mesquite. It took me about a month and has about 140 hours in it. All the black streaks are black epoxy that was used to fill the natural cracks and void in the wood. Finished with 2 coats of danish oil and 8 coats of Waterlox original and one coat of Waterlox satin to knock down the shine a bit. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful wood, nice clean lines, and has a southwest style of sorts to it. And nice finish, too. How long is it, about 5-6 feet? I'm just wondering, if you have it constantly loaded to the hilt with wine, will you need a brace of some sort in the middle, so you don't get a sag from the weight? Maybe like a peg leg underneath, right in the center.

I think it looks great with a hint of ruggedly handsome. Not to fine.. definitely not to rustic and obviously protectivley finished to the max with the process you patiently used. You should be pleased with the results as I see it. Depending on how you handled the cross rack in the center... I think it would be fine without additional bracing.

Sarge..

I LOVE mesquite but it is so bloody expensive. I wish my wife had an affinity for it but at least she likes maple and the vaious figures it comes in.

Gorgeous wine rack...fits the space beautifully.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Looks like that part of the house was build around that fine piece of furniture..

Great job! I like the design.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Job Mike. Stuffs hard as nails isn't it?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

MIKE,

That is a beauty !!

The wood is fantastic, design and execution are top flight !!

Good Job, I like it
    MARK

Thanks everybody. The case is 5' exactly and the top is 64" to allow for a 2 inch overhang all the way around. I am not worried about it sagging as most of the weight is distributed towards the legs. Oh that and it is mesquite which doesn't give much. I agree mesquite is pretty pricey but it is so unique without being too much. Funny thing about mesquite is that I learned woodworking with the stuff so it doesn't seem hard to me. I just cant figure out what is so hard about hard maple

That's a really great looking cabinet, Mike!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job Mike. Where is the Red wine?

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

That wine rack looks so good it deserves a nice bottle of Marilyn Merlot.

I also like mesquite. In fact, I'm doing my floors in mesquite. It looks great.

Mike-
    Very nice design, and of course an excellent choice of woods. The magnificent mesquite. My all time favorite wood, well it ranks up there with curly Koa.
    Is your mesquite -honey mesquite? I noticed you are in AZ and I thought they had more black mesquite ???

I saw a table the other day that was made out of curly Pecan and mesquite, they looked real good together. now I am thinking about a blanket chest out of those two.

Since you are moving to Portland you ought to stock up on some mesquite and then trade it for some of that big leaf maple they have.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

Thank you. Mesquite is my personal favorite wood however I could never see it used in my own home. Don't ask me why maybe just a bit to southwest for me. I am pretty sure black mesquite is the common variety around here and I think that is most of this piece. I do think that the top may be honey because it is much much lighter than the rest. I got the wood for the top from a different supplier than usual. It is pretty noticeable in person but I am confident that it will darken significantly like mesquite usually does over time.

A step ahead of you. I figured I am spending the money to drive a truck up there I may as well bring some wood. I have about 200b/ft of usable 4/4 mesquite that I am taking. It is milled from 4 different trees and they are all in sequence too . Still not sure if I will sell the wood maybe just pieces made with it.

Mike, great wine cabinet! Ah, but where's the wine? Maybe it's just because I'm from California, but I want to see the wine too In all seriousness, very nice work with some very nice wood.

Excellent Work - What did you use to color the epoxy?
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!