Thread: Engraved Fossil Ivory

Engraved Fossil Ivory

I made this pendant a couple of months ago but am just getting around to posting. The ivory is color filled with Ebony Rub-n-Buff. The setting is sterling. I'm not happy that the raster lines are visible which really shows up with the enlarged scale of the pic. Sorry about the quality of the pic, photography is not my strong suite.

LaserPro Explorer 60 watt 70 speed, 50 power, 500 DPI

stork 003-1.jpg

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda,

Looks like a nice piece! I know all about the "raster look".

Maybe next piece you could experiment in greyscale and go from lines to micro dots, this does make a difference. DAMHIKT! Several years ago I sprang for genuine elephant tusk ivory ($$$$$$) sold by the gram and found
    that greyscaling worked out for that

Bruce

Nice work Belinda. Do you make the settings yourself?
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Belinda,

Looks like a nice piece! I know all about the "raster look".

Maybe next piece you could experiment in greyscale and go from lines to micro dots, this does make a difference. DAMHIKT! Several years ago I sprang for genuine elephant tusk ivory ($$$$$$) sold by the gram and found
    that greyscaling worked out for that

Bruce
    Thanks for the advice Bruce. The ivory wasn't expensive at all so no great loss there. The piece is very small, around 3/4" x 1/2", so the raster lines aren't that visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Nice work Belinda. Do you make the settings yourself?
    Thanks Frank. Yes, I make the settings myself. There are things I would change on this one. I never make the same setting twice so the next piece will look totally different. On the next piece of ivory I think I will make the engraving smaller so that the setting doesn't overlap the engraving. When I engraved the piece I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, so I didn't think about how the setting would come into play. This is the first time I've incoporated an engraved piece into one of my jewelry pieces. Live and learn.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Well it really is a lovely piece, you are very talented

Belinda,

If you are going to color fill, you should take a sharp something (like a sewing needle or scratchboard tool) and remove the char from the engraving. That will get rid of the raster lines easily and give your fill better tooth to grip. Scrimshanders originally used sewing needles to do their engravings and so tones were commonly done using cross hatching or dots. They also just used ash to blacken their lines before polishing. Art technique history buff here, sorry if it's too much information...

Attached is a pic of real scrimshaw pieces I did vs. the laser on ivory piece I posted in another thread (Coloring Intricate Designs) which won't load again for this thread. But I find the laser can do a very nice job on ivory and it's a lot easier on the arthritic hands!

Your jewelry setting is really nice, I love the wrapping, it's very organic (like vines entwining the piece).

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee, that's beautiful work! I take it that is ivory or ......is it bone? Either way it looks fabulous.

Thanks, Frank,

Yes, they are real ivory pieces, but not elephant. There's a store in San Francisco that sells old walrus tusk ivory and whale bone pieces to scrimshanders. Little pieces like that go for $5 or more each.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

very beautiful work...it doesn't matter that the silver overlaps the engraving as it looks like a natural vine while you see the bird... post more...love jewelry...

Engraved Fossil Ivory

Beautiful work and very artistic. You can buy legal elephant ivory cut offs on e-bay for $25 - $30 a half pound. you can see what you're buying also.

Thanks for the advice Dee. I'll check out your thread on Coloring Intricate Designs as soon as I get a chance. Your work is outstanding!

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Clara Koss View Post
    very beautiful work...it doesn't matter that the silver overlaps the engraving as it looks like a natural vine while you see the bird... post more...love jewelry...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mighells View Post
    Beautiful work and very artistic. You can buy legal elephant ivory cut offs on e-bay for $25 - $30 a half pound. you can see what you're buying also.
    Thank you Clara. I'll post photos of anything I make using lasered material. I really need the feed back. Now if I could just reach Dee's level of expertise . . .

Thanks Ray. I bought the fossil Ivory from Boone Trading. The piece was $5 I think. Most of the pieces of ivory I found on line were too large but I will keep e-bay in mind. Thanks for the info!

Bella Terra

Gee Frank! I just have to comment on your new photograph.. Very becoming!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Who are you?!? And what have you done with Frank?!? I having flashbacks to Planet of the Apes!

Bella Terra