Thread: Pink wood

Pink wood

I'm making a jewelry box for my daughter as a present and wish to make part of it out of "pink" wood. I've looked at lots of images of exotic pink woods but they are too expensive. Most of the wood in the box will be oak with a 3-5 inch "pink" wood strip the length of the top . It appears that Minwax offers a water based stain in several shades of pink in quart quantities. The wood is probably going to be hard maple for grain contrast to the oak. Has anyone used the water based Minwax stains for the non-traditional wood colors? Does it fade over time?

Any other suggestions for obtaining "pink" wood such as using fabric dyes or wood dyes, etc.?

My thought was to stain or dye the wood before edge glueing it to the oak.

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph

there are milk paints that come in different colors. If you put it on thin the grain shows through or you can put it on witha few coats to fully cover. You can then finish it as you like.

Pink wood

Not sure how big the pieces need to be but you can try "pink ivory"

I'm sure you can get it quite a few places but try this

Joe

"Is that you, Baxter? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain?"

Pink wood dye on maple would work--don't use fabric dye, they have no need to be very light fast, and so probably aren't. The challenge will be keeping it off of the oak next to it. Dye won't penetrate deeply, so you couldn't expect to sand the pink inlay flush after it has been glued in place. Masking tape, even the green translucent fine line tape, won't give a satisfactory line I wouldn't think.

I'd think of using the pink as about 1/8" --3/16" thick inlay into the oak, planning for it to end up a little proud of the surface--like a ribbon perhaps. The pink would be pre-shaped, dyed, and only then glued to the oak.

Blog Entries
    I just made a box that my niece said needed pink. I wound up using Tulipwood....

I sort of messed up, though, when I used boiled lindseed oil as an overall finish....it darkened it up a little more than I would have liked. So, if something like that happens to you, I would suggest flocking the inside with some pink.....although I used red when I flocked hers.... only because that's what I had on hand and she couldn't wait for her October birthday and I had to mail it out TODAY!

But, Pink Ivory is a nice alternative as recommended earlier... Our Rockler store in Atlanta had some available, mostly turning stock, but it can easily be milled to work as accents on a box. Just my $0.02

Ralph,

You might be able to find something a Homesteadfinishing.com. They have several different types of dyes and stains. I had a quick look and didn't see any pink. You might be able to use MIXOL colors red and white to make a pink. I would call and ask, they are very helpful. They might be able to make a suggestion.

The pinkest wood I ever saw (and I do mean PINK) was peroba rosa at Woodworkers Source on a visit to AZ.
    http://www.exotichardwoods-southamer...perobarosa.htm
    Doesn't sound like you need an awful lot of it. The wood might be cheaper than dying and the added finish work.
    Use the fence Luke

Note that Woodworker's Supply says, "...It is reported to darken upon exposure, becoming a browish yellow to dark brown color". It probably would OK inside, but would lose the pink if on the outside. One of my favorite woods for color is padauk (bright orange-red), but I only use it where it will not see the sun (inside boxes, for example), because it will turn brown pretty quickly when exposed to sunlight.

Cary