Thread: Gun Stock

Gun Stock

Well my two hobbies are woodworking and hunting. I would now like to incorporate the two. I have a really nice piece of black walnut and a brand new remington 700 7mm ultra mag. I would really like to make a stock for it but I know very little about it. If anyone has any advice or could help in any way I would really appreciate it!!
    Ryan Lewis

I think in your position I'd seriously consider finding a good custom stock maker and have him make a stock from your wood: he's already set up with the patterns and specialized tooling to do the inletting (the hard part of the job). Depending on his work load, he may be willing to just do that part of the job, leaving you with a ready-to-bed blank that you can do the outside shaping on.

(I'm assuming you already know how to bed your rifle's action to the finished stock.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Ryan,

Lee's advice is pretty sage. I have 2 custom built rifles courtesy of the LOML. The inletting and bedding are extremely important for great performance from a gun. Both of my rifles are glass bedded. I'd leave that to the pros. If it was a shotgun used for hunting ....maybe.....a rifle...not me brother.

I have a 338-06 built on a pre-74 Winchester model 70 action and a 7mm-06 built on a pre-war Winchester Model 70 action.

The 338-06 will put 5 shots at a 100 yards you can cover with a quarter and I have the targets to prove it. It's on the original wooden stock but was glass bedded by my now deceased, long time friend gunsmith.

My 7mm-06 is in a fiberglass stock, glass bedded. It was one of the last guns my friend built. We lost our range about the time Ron died and I've never developed a load for it and haven't fired around throught it but...I'll make a bet. It will shoot like it's maker shot against me in benchrest competition! There's a lot of us locally that miss the man's talents and I miss my relationship with him!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm with Lee on this one! I have restocked a couple of guns, and built a dozen or so longrifles. Getting the metal/wood fit on a 7mm UltraMag is CRITICAL! Not only will it not shoot worth a hoot, but with the recoil of that caliber, could be dangerous. At the very least, it could damage a nice piece of wood. Get someone to inlet the action and barrel, leaving you to bed it all, and do the shaping and finish work. That's the fun part anyway.