Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you guys verify this?

So have we sufficiently annoyed you into running 6"?

I am going to run a 6" trunk and run 4" off the trunk...

You guys had me convinced until I went to Menards and priced out the cost of going 6". Since I am only going to be in my current setting for another 4 - 5 years and it isn't "permanent" in my mind, I decided it wasn't worth the investment to go 6. I am sure I will have a ton of people reading this thinking it was a mistake, but that is OK. I guess I will "live and learn"....
    Last edited by Adam Cavaliere; 07-14-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cavaliere View Post
    You guys had me convinced until I went to Menards and priced out the cost of going 6". Since I am only going to be in my current setting for another 4 - 5 years and it isn't "perminante" in my mind, I decided it wasn't worth the investment to go 6. I am sure I will have a ton of people reading this thinking it was a mistake, but that is OK. I guess I will "live and learn"....
    Lots of people are very happy with their 4" ducting.

Contentment is a learned attitude that is not necessarily related to dust collector air flow.

Adam,

I went to Menards to help my uncle price a PVC dust collection system using 6" PVC, and your right regular schedule 40 6" PVC is very pricey and not needed. You can order 6" S&D PVC pipe for not much more than the 4" stuff, the only problem with Menards is the only way you can get it is to purchase an entire skid (20- 10ft sections) he didn't need that much. Menards does stock 6" S&D fittings Y's, ect.... We ended up finding 6" S&D just this spring at a few differenet places but Carter Lumber was by far the least expensive.

I think it's a mistake only b/c your worried about saving a few bucks now b/c you may move in several years? Well when you move just take the duct with you, there's no reason you can't re-use it.
    Other than that I think just running 6" all the way to the machines is the way to go. No good reason to step down to 4" at the machine in my mind. Except for machines which require 2 connections, in which case 6" to 2 - 4" ports is just right.
    It's your shop though so you do what you need to do
    good luck,
    JeffD

4" works exceptionally well. for a small shop, 6" is not justified based on impressive performance of smooth bore 4" pipe, the significant added cost for metal or 6" PVC and the room the large diameter takes up.

OK guys,

Everything isn't fully hooked up, but at least I took some pictures and even a small video.

Click this link to go to my site:
    http://www.airedalez.net/index.php?o...d=37&Itemid=66