Thread: Penn State DC units

Penn State DC units

Has anyone had any experience with either the Penn State 1250 or 1500 CFM machines (1 1/2 and 2 hp respectively)? They're mounted on a platform with casters, which is an attractive feature and are advertised as coming with 1 micron filter bags. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Penn's State's single stage units are typical products and you'll not find much performance differentiation between them and other similar units with the same size impellers and motors. Do note that the CFM ratings are "free air" (no duct and filter...0" of water SP) and you will not get anything close to that in real life with duct work, even with that duct work optimized. Realistically, expect 500-700 CFM tops with the most ideal conditions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gene
    I've had two so far, the dc1bxl and now a dc250. My 250 originally came with bags, they were a felt material with a sewn in plastic window. About a year and a half using the 250, the window blew out of the bag spewing dust all over. PS's response was that the warranty only lasted for a year. So much for them standing behind a product. Otherwise I agree with Jim, they are pretty typical units overall.

On my 250, I converted it to a wynn filter and plastic bottom bags. Was not a bolt on solution, I had to make a plywood donut to sit on top of the housing and then sit the cannister on top of that because there was no decent surface to sit the cannister on. It works pretty well with the cannister, the only other upgrade I could possibly make would be a full blown cyclone system. If I ever decide to go that route, it would probably be with Grizzly since I think their units have more up to date engineering in them over the PS units. Plus I am not enamoured of PennStates customer service (can you tell?)

I have the DC2000BC with cannister for 3 years now, works pretty much as advertised. It also came with the filter bags, which I have never used. Main reasons for going with it were steel impeller, 6" port, noise level, price, and cannister. Last week I installed Phil's baffle design - using two of the bolts that attach the supports plus one other screw.

The ductwork in my smallish basement shop is anything but optimized. The DC needs to set in one corner, the main line needs to run overhead, 4" to minimize the protrusion, and wyes going to the bandsaws/sanders, table saws, above-table saw duct, router table/SCMS, and planer/jointer/lathe. It's undersized, too many fittings and gates, and more-or-less backward from the way it should be - longest run (30 feet or so) is to the planer and jointer. All things considered, though, it does a pretty decent job of keeping dust off the floor and out of the air. A Jet cleaner mounted sideways along one wall finishes the job.