Thread: It's the little things that get you.

It's the little things that get you.

When I tried to estimate how much my DC system was going to cost, I never imagined I would use almost $15 worth of pop rivets, or two $20 rolls of aluminum tape, or wear out an abrasive blade on my metal chop saw, and that is with the revised shorter system almost in place. I cut out almost 40' of pipe because I was worried about losing too much air flow.

By the way, we had a 5.4 earthquake about twenty miles away today. I might have lost the super gorilla if I hadn't bolted it to the concrete. It is REALLY top heavy.

Rick Potter

Rick, woodworking projects are just like building a house - you should always put in a 30% overrun! Always more supplies than you thought, need more tools, and or course, the ever present "while I am at it I may as well...."

Glad you withstood the earthquake!! That is probably an all too often occurence for you out there. I have my Super Gorilla bolted to the wall stand - I think it would hold in an earthquake, but would rather not find out!!

On the extra ductwork I bet your DC would have handled it alright. I left a couple of stubbed ends for future additional runs and already considering adding one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Rick, woodworking projects are just like building a house - you should always put in a 30% overrun! Always more supplies than you thought, need more tools, and or course, the ever present "while I am at it I may as well...."

John has that right!!! That's something I'm facing as I budget my shop/garage building only with it the "overruns" run in thousands of dollars.

The quake was just a roller out here. Just enough to remind me that I live in "earthquake country." I'm glad you're OK.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 07-30-2008 at 8:48 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

25% above and beyond estimates is a good start.... "SWAG" factor as we call that on the day job (SWAG= shoot a wild _ ss Guess).

Greg

Rick,
    I was at Pomona College on the 24th and flew to Northern California on the 25th so I missed the quake. I lived in the SF Bay Area for quite a few years so I was around a few quakes but the LOML is a Michigan girl and was terrified at the thought of an earthquake while we were there. Wish I could have had time to pick up a few tools.
    David B

6.0 or less doesn't even get me out of bed! 6.0+ would literally get (uh, TOSS) me out of bed and then I might actually wake up.

Rick, put it this way: if you had known every smidgen of detail about completing a DC system, you wouldn't be on here asking questions and trying to figure it all out--you'd be the expert and we'd be asking YOU!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.