Thread: Mylar - cutting multiple layers

Mylar - cutting multiple layers

I have a 45-watt Epilog laser and cut stencils from Mylar. Single layers are easy, but I need higher production so I'm trying to cut 2 or 3 layers at a time. After days of experimenting with speed, power and pulse rate, I'm still not happy with my results. The second layer is irregular or gets a burned/hazy edge.

I tried this before and got discouraged, so I'm wondering if it is even possible. Any success stories out there?

Thanks!!

HI Kathy,
    I too would like to know if layers can be cut. I have mastered melting and hazing, now a clean cut would be nice.

Have you tried using a scrap of something like birch as a backing that would be sacrificed? (This just occurred to me, so I haven't tried this.)

Good luck.
    Leigh Costello
    Epilog Mini 24, 45W, Corel X4
    Smile, make them wonder what ya did.

If you're doing a lot of these a vinyl cutter might be a good investment.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Not with mylar, but I was cutting multiple layers of laminating adhesive film for a customer. I sandwiched them between two sheets of card stock, taped to a sacrificial piece of 1/4" acrylic that had items cut out of it previously. I was able to manipulate the settings to get a clean cut with 3 at a time, though the edges stuck together a bit.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Going GEEK here, but imagine the bandwidth of the laser beam... How many wave lengths can fit in the tiniest airgap between layers. I know it may sound star trek level 10 - but if there is even a micro thin slice of air -which there will be - the laser waves will diffuse between layers, causing the charring or burn edges. You can't expect to have the reaction of the focus like it's in the middle layer - that beam is beat up hard with the smallest of substrate - even a piece of tissue will diffuse the beam enough to cause a difference in etching.

The only thing I've been able to do is like Joe stated is sandwiching items and very tightly binding them - also had to over focus so the focus point was in the center of the layers. I found that the extra effort preparing the layers wasn't worth the time of hitting the go button again at the higher speed doing single layers.

I'm sure it's possible - IMHO it's kind of like 3D etching, nice to have, not worth the work/trouble in most cases.
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Cutting multiple layers

Kathy,

I've found that cutting one layer at a time provides best cutting and edge quality. Reason, probably has a lot to do with what Stephen said.

Suggestions:

Place a peice of printer paper between each layer and try cutting 3-4 total mylar sheets at a time.

Try multiple sheets of mylar (4-6) at a time w/ nothing sandwiched in between. You'll likely get 2-3 good stencils while having to discard the top and bottom layers.

Above suggestions help... but there may be a little more cleaning up to do then expected and you may not like having to discard some of the layers (wasted material).

I've also found that air-assist doesn't help much with this type of application so try it w/ out air-assist (but be aware of possible flare-ups/catching on fire).

Mid range speed, low power, low frequency for one layer.

Mid range speed, mid power, low frequency for multiple layers.

HTH,
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Wink Thank you, everyone!

Lots of good ideas here and three that I'm definitely going to try tomorrow. Thank you for your expertise and for taking the time to respond.

-Kathy