Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What carving tools do you have/use?

What carving tools do you have/use?

Thought I'd try to help get some traffic going on here. Right now I have a set of Ashley Isles that use for much of what I do. I'd like to get some spoon & back-bent gouges this spring.

Question for anyone:
    A lot of the old carving books, etc., show just the shanks without the handles. Does anyone know of a source for just that part? I'd like to make my own handles.

Sam,
    I use pfiels mostly. Eaiser for me to get, since woodcraft sells them and I can see them before I purchase them.

As for handles I know a lot of guys that make them themselves.

Garry
    Garry McKinney
    A new day is a new chance.

Carving Tools

Sam,

I am not aware of anyone selling full size tools without handles. Flexcut sells their SK line of tools that have no handle, but they are palm tools, and not to my liking. For my 2 cents, I like Stubai. Sold and distributed in the USA by the Whillock family, the quality of the tools, and the fantastic service cannot be beat. 5 stars. My palm tools are Stubai and Denny. Love them, both.

Good Luck,
    Dan Heine

Well I have only been carving for about 2 months but I have become a tool junkie already. Most of my tools are geared at caricature carving and small carvings.

I have 3 Ron Wells carving knives .. these are my favorites. Also a nice Denny 1 inch detail knife, a German bench detail knife and a Murphy Bench Knife. I use a 3/4 Shallow gouge from Ron Wells, 2 stubby handled Ramelson Vt Tools and assorted other Palm Tools from Ramelson and others including a set of Dockyard Micro Gouges.

Corey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking tools, Corey!

Thanks Sam! I am a sucker for a pretty, thin bladed knife!

Corey

Unhandled carving tools

Sam

Years and years ago, I got a bunch of both handled and undhandled tools from Carl Heidtmann, in Germany; I don't know if they still sell them both ways but check out the website and their catalog to see. I communicated in English and the transaction worked without problems. The dollar was better in those days, though.

http://www.carl-heidtmann.de/content/

Heidtmann tools are also sold by a Canadian dealer (unhandled? I don't know):

www.gentmantel.com

Thanks Frank!

Carving Tools

Hello,

I prefer Stubai tools. The quality of the steel, and the craftsmanship that goes into every tool cannot be matched. For knives, I like my Ron Wells knives a lot also. For knives and palm tools, however, my very favorite are Diobsud Forge. Very expensive, and available at only as few carving stores, these are made by hand one at a time in the Pacific Northwest. If you want to see them check out http://www.littleshavers.com. My last choice for handheld carving would be Denny tools. Razor sharp right from the beginning, these are very nice tools. I do not like Flexcut tools, or the company that markets them. The marketing company does not have a heart.

Dan

No one has mentioned Warren Cutlery. They seem to have a good variety of carving knives, chisels and gouges. Can anyone remark on these tools?

Warren Cutlery Tools

Hello,

Warren Cutlery specializes in portable carving kits. You get a nice handle that will accept knife blades, gouges, saws, etc. It is my understanding that the knife blades, gouges, etc are supplied to Warren Cutlery by Sculpture House. They are very decent quality tools, but not near the quality of Pfeil, Denmny or Stubai.

Dan

Warren Cutlery started out in business making tools for the shoe and leather industries. To the best of my knowledge, all of their tool/handle things are made in house. Their prices are excellent, the tool blades when received only need a final stropping for use, and they have FREE Shipping for internet customers. As far as their other tools are concerned, I have no idea as to their source.

Usual disclaimer. Just a satisfied customer.

2fo2bb

Does anyone know anything about Hirsch carving tools? I live in the middle of nowhere and have to buy most of this stuff mail-order, and I just bought a set from Lee Valley. They looked good in the catalog...here's hoping they're good tools!

I have all Pfeil for exactly the same reason as Garry. Plus, I've decided that I like the octagon handles, as I am prone to setting them down now and then. They don't roll off the bench. I figure I'm not good enough to notice a difference between the Pfeils and Stubai, so I'll save a few bucks. Just broke a Pfeil knife, though. Accidentally sent the tip in a little deep, and turned it just right. Or wrong, as it turns out. Broke off a perfect little triangle. Still learning. I'll hang onto it and grind it into something usefull eventually.

Fedex just dropped off the latest Woodcraft order--I got 4 of the Henry Taylors in the closeout section. Woodcraft's Henry Taylor aren't the same ones you buy with the black/straw shanks, they are polished. And the handles are ash rather than beech. Measured in mm like the Swiss. Two fishtails (#5/20, #7/14), a #4/12, and a 20mm double bevel chisel. They don't look as elegant as the Pfeil, but they do look sturdy. Says they need a final honing before use, but not by much--they're sharp. I'll try them out tonight, and pound on them all weekend. Shame about the rounded handles. I'm sure I'll be grinding one soon, when it rolls off my bench. Might cut or sand some sides, we'll see.